Maggots in my pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Maggots in my pile
Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 10:59 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

You don't really want to stop the soldier flies. If the pile is too hot, they will migrate to the edge. But they do a great job breaking down all kinds of organic matter, including poop.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Thursday, May 06, 2010 - 8:31 pm

Black Soldier Fly itself looks like a mud dabber wasp and the larvae are about an inch or more long per my recollection. They are not a danger. Not all maggots are equel so try to identify. Joes suggestion of covering up with more carbon material may stop the Soldier Fly, but my experience with them is they are persistent.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 3:44 pm

Google for pictures of black soldier fly larvae. If that's what you have, be happy. They are awesome scavengers.

Author: Pauln (Pauln)
Monday, May 03, 2010 - 2:38 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I use 2 earth machine bins and have been composting about 2 years. I never had this issue. One of my piles seems fine but the other one has a ton of what looks to be maggots. I do not have any flies. I've been using dirt soil and dirt as my cover material? As I said it's been fine. Just want to know if these maggots are good or not good.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.