Garbage can in outhouse what to do???

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Garbage can in outhouse what to do???
Author: Emasally (Emasally)
Sunday, May 16, 2010 - 7:26 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

thanks for your response. now im downloading the book. i put the garbage can back in the outhouse hole, but not so deep this time so i can lift it out and i set it all up with a can of sawdust. i think this will work. i covered my big pile with an entire bale of straw and there is no smell or run off...yet.

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 3:15 am

If you're concerned about runoff, it depends upon how wet your can contents are and how deep and wet your horse manure pile is. I would guess that your 10 gallons of garbage can contents can be added just fine as long as your pile is significantly larger than that. Definitely read the book soon!

Friday, May 14, 2010 - 11:03 am

well, an update aready on my situation. got the can out. so now i just want to know if i can make a depression in my horse manure/blood meal pile and dump it in and cover with cover material. i have good access to sawdust. the pile is not in a container of any sort...it is about 3 feet high and 5 feet wide. i guess my fear would be runoff down the driveway...

Friday, May 14, 2010 - 9:34 am

hello...i havent ordered the book yet but i will, i promise. right now i need some help. i have an outhouse that has a 1/2 full plastic 20 gallon garbage can in the hole. it is heavy and im not sure i can lift it out. that is the first problem the second is what to do with it when i have it out. it has been there for 2 years and is not breaking down, but doesnt get used that often either. i have been putting lime in it (i know now, not good! for breaking down anyway) i wasnt planning on composting it when i put the bucket in there i was just trying to save my outhouse from the inspector tearing it down, then i just started letting people use it and forgot about the bucket in there!. so i can have the porta john guys come out and pump it and then just use the outhouse OR what i would like to do is just dump it on my existing compost pile that is old horse manure, about 10 lbs of blood meal and cut grass...that is too hot to use cause of the blood meal...can i just throw it on there and mix it in and then buy the book for the rest of the info. i have to move it soon or i will never be able to. thanks so much, sally

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.