How much for sawdust in New England???

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: How much for sawdust in New England???
Author: Aaron_in_nh (Aaron_in_nh)
Monday, October 18, 2010 - 8:38 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Thanks so much to everyone for your input! I appreciate it...

I have since gone and paid $20 for a pick up load of raw pine sawdust...the other stuff that was from the chain saw was free and i didn't have to pick it up!

all is well though and my pile is hovering around the 130 F mark though!

thanks again, aaron

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, July 06, 2010 - 12:45 pm

I have used Eucalyptus sawdust cut with a chainsaw, and it's ideal grain size. In fact I got the best use out of one tree, E. globulus, which had to be cut down. The trunk was cut up and split to supply my entire firewood for next winter. The top branches and leaves were mulched, giving about 2 tons. The sawdust from all the cutting went into my humanure storage.

Regarding any oil present, don't worry about it. The bacteria/fungi etc. in the sawdust will deal with it.

Author: Rowan (Rowan)
Friday, July 02, 2010 - 5:08 pm

Tell your chain saw workers to use vegetable oil as a lubricant. I've been using rape seed oil (canola), genetically unmodified, for my chain saw for years and it works perfectly and is much much cheaper. The only thing to watch out for during winter time is to clean your saw well after use, the oil may stiffen up around the chain if left in the cold.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Friday, July 02, 2010 - 11:40 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I guess it depends on the chainsaw and the tree. I used some sawdust from cutting Austrian pine logs with a chainsaw and it was lovely. The logs were a couple of years old, though.

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 10:39 pm

The chain oil contamination probably would be minimal and most likely bacterial breakdown would minimize it.. Unfortunately the sawdust from a chainsaw would be rather coarse and not ideal for humanure. It would still be useable, but it would likely be better to let it compost for two years to improve it.

Author: Aaron_in_nh (Aaron_in_nh)
Tuesday, May 18, 2010 - 7:26 pm

Can anyone give an estimate on what to expect to pay for raw sawdust in New England?? I have a source that could get me around 4-8 cubic yards (or about a 1 ton pick-up's worth).

It is from cutting cord wood...anyone have experience with that type of material?? i.e. (worries about chain oil contamination, etc. ??)

thanks in advance, aaron

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.