Large Scale Composting Toilets

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Large Scale Composting Toilets
Author: Hamish (Hamish)
Sunday, May 04, 2014 - 10:55 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

hi there folks. We are doing 1050 compost loos at glastonbury festival in uk this year. The festival has 280,000 people for 6 days..

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 4:18 pm

Julian, I really do wish you well with your efforts. If I was a farmer, in a similar situation, the Humanure method would be the ONLY system of composting toilet I would allow on my land.
On top of that, I would arrange talks, teach-ins, etc., for groups of people, including (particularly) children, with the farmer, to demonstrate the proper use and function of the Humanure system.
Have a computer running Joe's videos, full-time during the gathering, if Joe is agreeable, so that people can really understand the whole process.

Author: Julan (Julan)
Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 10:59 am

I am organsing an event in South Africa that is truly environmentally sound. At present there are NO events in this country that have compost toilets on a large scale and I need advice and ideas about this. Many farmers will not consider compost toilets and demand portaloo chemical toilets.
The farm I am working with has agreed to compost toilets, if
a) the waste is taken off site after the event
b) the waste is buried on site

Yet for me this seems to defeat some of the objective of a compost toilet system - which is to create compost
The event will also be creating its own permaculture gradens which the farm will have use of afterwards - the compost could be great for this after a year.

I need facts, figures, pictures and diagrams
Information to convince the farmer all will be well with compost toilets being left to stand covereed with straw after the event.

www.littlegreengathering.moonfruit.com

Julan Briant

Author: Joe (Joe)
Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 11:18 am

You can roughly figure that a 5-gallon receptacle allows for 7 person days of use, including urine and cover material. That's one person for 7 days or seven people for one day The correct cover material makes a big difference. Light, fluffy material needs more to cover odor so it will fill up faster. Coarse material such as wood shavings and certainly wood chips are not recommended because they slow the compost down. If you can find sawdust from trees or from natural wood, especially sawdust that has been piled outside and has some degree of dampness, then that works quite well and is what these figures are based upon.

Also, you can roughly figure that 5,000 person days will require a compost pile footprint of about 160 square feet. That makes a compost pile about 4-5 feet high in that area, food material included.

Author: Ballin (Ballin)
Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 11:58 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

hi;

i have to say that good to shown the information about Large Scale Composting Toilets which is good to see thanks!!

Composting Toilets

Author: Ken (Ken)
Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 10:12 pm

Here is a video from Joe's site that may be of help.

http://humanurehandbook.com/videos.html#festival2

Ken

Author: Sheila (Sheila)
Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 2:19 pm

We are starting the process of converting to composting toilets at our campground/event site. Wondering if there is a formula for estimating the the number of toilets needed or buckets generated by a certain number of people.
As well as approximating how large of a composting area is needed for a large scale event.
I look so forward to the day when the last blue box is removed from the campground. The transition may take some time but the end result will make it very worthy of our efforts.
I appreciate any info you have.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.