How many here are composting humanure...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: How many here are composting humanure in tumblers? Questions...
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, July 26, 2010 - 11:05 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

OH, and if you live on 2.5 acres why put your system so close to neighbor ? Why not do it the Jenkins way (I say the right way) and far as possible from neighbor ?

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, July 26, 2010 - 1:33 am

Did you read Jenkins book on Humanure ? If not please do so immediatly. To begin with it take 2 years to compost humanure. Also, I do not think your tumbler will build enough heat to destroy dangerous organisms. Besides your plastic tumbler can not be filled since I suspect it will break under the load of a full 55 gallons. There are other issues as well. Please read Jenkins book

Author: Booradley (Booradley)
Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 2:46 am

This is the tumbler I will to make:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7IN_9s8C8E

Author: Booradley (Booradley)
Saturday, July 24, 2010 - 2:38 am

Hello. I am new to the whole humanure thing. I live on 2.5 acres in an eastern Texas town. Hot summers (100F+/38C+), fairly mild winters (usually), and about 45 inches/114 cm of rainfall per year. Our sawdust toilet will soon be in use, and I was hoping to get by with about 9 compost tumblers made from 50 gallon plastic barrels until peak daily temps are below 45F/7C. Family of two adults. I'm thinking grass clippings, table scraps, and lots of leaves along with two buckets from the toilet (urine isn't separated) would be plenty for one barrel. Cover material for indoors is initially going to be peat moss. I won't have any usable leaf litter for the purpose for at least 6 weeks, and I don't know if I will be able to get any raw sawdust, as there are no mills in my town.

Anyways, I'm looking for input from folks who have experience composting humanure in tumblers. One 50 gallon tumbler, with the mix of two buckets from the toilet, a whole lot of leaves, some grass clippings, and maybe one bucket of table scraps (with some cover material added during use, as with the toilet). Does this sound like it will break down in 8 or 9 weeks into something that doesn't stink when it comes out of the tumbler? And when it is in the tumbler with the lid closed, bearing in mind that it will have plenty of pencil eraser size holes drilled in it for aeration, will there be any detectable odor? Detectable by humans that is, and let's say at a distance of 12 feet/3.5 meters.

Oh, I should say that a bunch of leaves (oak, hickory) will be put in first, then the humanure/table scraps, then the tumbler will be filled the rest of the way with leaves/grass clippings.

Paranoid about neighbors. Outhouse is legal in my area, but I don't want to piss these people off. Their guns are bigger than mine. Thanks. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.