Anthill turns into compost pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Anthill turns into compost pile
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, August 25, 2010 - 1:04 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Richard, good to see you in this forum.
I had a "Rota Loo" composting toilet in the early 1990s. It had to be equipped with an extractor fan, taking the odors out of a flue above the building. Without that fan going, there was always a musty smell coming back into the cubicle. This smell is inherent in such toilets, including the Clivus Multrum type. I am not sure why, but it's probably related to the storage, within the system, of continuously decaying matter, over many months. In the case of the Humanure system, excreta only remains in the bucket for about a week, before it is taken outside and composted there. Hence it is rare to have an odor problem with the Humanure system.
One other factor which can give problems in the case of the Clivus Multrum or Rota Loo toilets. People build the cubicle, usually outside the house, with plenty of air (wind!) circulating through it. This can create a vortex in the cubicle. Instead of the odors being drawn up the flue by the electric fan, the odors are sucked back up into the cubicle.
The cubicles for these types of toilet should be well constructed, free of draughts, plenty of natural lighting and pleasant to be in.
I hope this is of interest to you and of some help in your situation.

Author: Rmccarren (Rmccarren)
Tuesday, August 24, 2010 - 10:46 pm

I can't find any other area to use so I will post here and perhaps someone can redirect or have an answer to my problem. I have built a clivus multrum style composting toilet. I have read and re-read Humanure. The model I used was from an article in Mother Earth News titles "Build Yourself an In-house Outhouse" in the March/April issue 1983. The problem I am having is odor. I have used sawdust (pretty fine) until I am afraid I will fill the chamber with sawdust. I started with hay as a base, put composting material down next before using. And then sawdust after every deposit with very little moisture as the article suggests. The deposits just seem to pile up and the odor won't go away. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Author: Spiritsintent (Spiritsintent)
Sunday, August 22, 2010 - 5:42 am

central europe

(Message edited by spiritsintent on August 22, 2010)

Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, August 20, 2010 - 1:07 pm

Sprintsintent: what part of the world are you located in?

Author: Pcinca (Pcinca)
Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 1:58 pm

Spiritsintent, I have always had ants in and around the compost pile, but never in the heated part- critters don't generally like that part of pile. Critters don't bother the decomposition process and can actually help by aerating the pile. I have red Harvester ants (similar to Fire ants) near the pile, but they don't get into it- only a few tiny black ants and they have never been a problem.

Author: Spiritsintent (Spiritsintent)
Thursday, August 19, 2010 - 12:57 pm

we moved a giant anthill for the compost area and the ants have since moved into the compost pile...heat and all. anyone got experience of if this effects the composting process and also how to encourage them away?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.