Does the compost bin or aging site ne...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Does the compost bin or aging site need direct sunlight?
Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Friday, October 01, 2010 - 2:56 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Composting is a process of microbiology and other small organisms, and takes place, for the most part, in the interior of the pile, away from the sunlight. Ambient temperature can impact the rate of activity (if it gets too cold things slow down). The really important criteria are the correct mix of materials to provide food and a 'loose' (not too compacted) pile to allow sufficient air, and correct moisture (about 60% if you are measuring). Shady or sunny areas are not of much importance, if any, in my experience.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 12:18 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

From my experience and knowledge, the compost pile generates its own heat and does not need the heat of the sun.

Nancy

Author: Sylphr (Sylphr)
Thursday, September 30, 2010 - 3:30 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Does the compost bin or aging site require direct sunlight?
I was under the impression that sunlight would not mater due to cover material and Florida's subtropical climate.
My property is covered by a thick canopy most of the year with the only small sun lit patch being the garden area, close to the house. There are plenty of shady spots available and I don't want to cut down my trees.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.