Washing the bucket in the winter

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Washing the bucket in the winter
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, November 12, 2010 - 2:39 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Try using only sawdust to clean the bucket:
Wearing rubber gloves, and having emptied the bucket onto the compost heap, take a big handful of sawdust. Clean around the inside of the bucket with this sawdust, then empty that sawdust onto the compost heap.
Do the same thing again, it might take maybe 3 handfuls of sawdust to get the inside of the bucket clean and dry.
Finally, use a soft brush to sweep out any remaining sawdust.
NO WATER ! NO DETERGENT ! NO DISINFECTANT ! NO RESIDUAL SMELL !
This method works for me. Please let me know if it does/does not work for you.
I suspect that if the heap of sawdust is frozen over, you will be able to dig down a few inches to find it unfrozen.
Happy composting.

Author: Danilo (Danilo)
Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 2:06 pm

That is way I was built compost bins and have cover material near house. Because in winter when is cold and very quickly dark, is not enjoyable if you have to walk far to the compost.

My compost bins are on the east side, only 2 meters (6,5 feet) from house, and 15 meters (49,2 feet) from garage, where I storage receptacles, I found this very convenient, especially in winter. And there is no problem with odor or flies.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 10:26 pm

The rain barrel is drained late in the year before it freezes. When I carry out two toilet receptacles in the winter months, I also carry out a gallon plastic jug of water (usually hot water). I have a piece of rope on the jug handle and I wrap it around my wrist so i don't have to hold the jug with my hand. This enables me to carry two toilet receptacles and the water jug at the same time. One gallon of water will clean two 5-gallon toilet receptacles.

Author: Sniffingratty (Sniffingratty)
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 10:02 pm

yes i suppose there is no way around it. just hoping that there was some magic solution that didn't involve hauling more weight.

Author: Danilo (Danilo)
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 3:46 pm

Of course any container must be empty over winter, or container will freeze.

In my place, winter temperature reaches up to -20 deg. Celsius (-4 deg. F). So I help with 10 liter (2,6 gallons) container with tap, which I fill with hot water. Then I carry to the compost and clean receptacles.

Hot water at -20 deg.C (-4 deg. F) is very handy. I highly recommend it and greatly ease the cleaning of receptacles.

Container with tap

Author: Sniffingratty (Sniffingratty)
Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 2:23 pm

I am setting up a cartage system for my house and am wondering about washing the bucket in the winter. I know that Joe's pile has a barrel and rain catchment system built in so that you can wash the bucket right there at the pile and pour the dirty wash water into the compost. But what happens in the winter? Doesn't the barrel freeze? Do you have to bring the bucket inside and wash it? Seems kind of inconvenient, the only place that I have inside to was would be the bathtub. What do yall do?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.