Need a quick answer: Thermophilic com...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Need a quick answer: Thermophilic composting without poop?
Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Wednesday, November 17, 2010 - 11:45 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

The On-Farm Composting Handbook by Robert Rynk will offer you lots of help in composting without human feces (night soil). It has tables and guides on calculating the correct ratios of raw materials to produce good thermophilic action in almost any kind of composting you might want to undertake.

Author: Nyc_paramedic (Nyc_paramedic)
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 7:19 pm

I should have said that I wanted to compost using neither poop nor pee. I was limited with what I could compost using worms, i.e., no meats, fats.

I'd like to initially get a thermophilic pile going *without* poop or pee. But I would be adding all my meats, fish, fowl, fats, grease, etc.

I'm trying to get my foot in the door of this garden as gently as possible. The volunteer gardener I spoke to mentioned that the NYC Parks Dept is extremely paranoid about any endeavor that would introduce even the _mere_ possibility of vermin attraction in a public space.

P.S. My ideal situation would be to have my super remove my toilet, replace that with a Loveable Loo, and carry my buckets to the garden across the street once a week.

If anybody has had any experience in dealing with big city management companies in relation to humanure composting then please drop me a note.

Author: Danilo (Danilo)
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 4:27 pm

Complete article, here
http://optimumnutrition.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/pee-cycling/

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 12:16 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Since 80% of the Nitrogen we excrete is in our urine, I would expect a urine + other compostables pile would heat up nicely,as long as it gets enough green weedy and foody stuff. I suspect that the main contribution of poop to the compost is as a source of easily decomposable carbon. The nitrogen in poop is partly from undigested food (not very available), and partly from gut bacteria and shed intestinal skin (very available)

Without urine, conventional sewage treatment can become a net energy producer because of methane production. See this article (unfortunately behind a pay wall now but you can read the first few paragraphs) http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg19225831.600-peecycling.html

Nancy

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Tuesday, November 16, 2010 - 9:52 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

You can compost thermophilically with kitchen scraps as the nitrogen source. It would take some experimenting, but you would probably need less cover material--depending on what the scraps are.

Author: Nyc_paramedic (Nyc_paramedic)
Monday, November 15, 2010 - 9:11 pm

I just moved to an area in the northern tip of Manhattan, which is across the street from a NYC Parks garden maintained by volunteers.

I introduced myself to one of them and mentioned that my girlfriend and I have been worm composting successfully in a Brooklyn backyard for almost 2 years. I also mentioned that I would like to volunteer/experiment with thermophilic composting in the garden.

This person had never heard of Joseph Jenkins or Sir Albert Howard (The Soil and Health), and I thought it might be premature to introduce poop into the equation.

So, can one compost thermophilically without poop? If yes, does anything else in the equation (cover material, Nitrogen) change?

Thanks.

(Message edited by nyc_paramedic on November 15, 2010)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.