Winter Maintenence and Tips...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Winter Maintenence and Tips...
Author: Rman (Rman)
Saturday, March 07, 2015 - 11:15 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I think my bins need to be a bit bigger to allow for more cover material at the sides. I was stingy with it this year and the pile is frozen.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Friday, March 06, 2015 - 5:55 pm

Here are a couple videos about winter humanure composting. This is the newest (posted March 6, 2015): http://youtu.be/xiSXhV-7mV4

Here is an older one: http://youtu.be/RJn5iuzUWJc

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:18 am

I have done humanure composting in Iowa for several years now. The key thing that I found to help keep decent temps over the winter was to make the diameter of my pile bigger. When I switched from using a 4 pallet square pile to a 5 pallet pentagon pile, my temperatures improved dramatically. I think the increased diameter afforded a greater insulating gradient between the cold outer region and the hotter core.

I've found no difference in temperature maintenance between weekly and every other week deposits.

Only in the winter, I use biodegradeable BioBags to line my buckets to make cleaning much faster.

I keep several buckets of sawdust in the basement to avoid difficulties with frozen piles.

I keep a tarp over my leaf pile to provide easy access to pile cover material under the snow.

I always wash and rinse my dishes in plastic pans in the sinks. When finished, I pour that hot water into a bucket and use that water for washing buckets. This way the water and its heat are also recycled.

Author: Aaron_in_nh (Aaron_in_nh)
Monday, January 24, 2011 - 10:43 am

Hello Humanure Community!

This fellow here in the throes of a -10 day here in New Hampshire would love a brief, summarized version of tips, tricks and things to watch out for in the maintenance of our humanure piles in the depths of winter.

I started my foray into the world of humanure this past spring of 2010 and after a few different changes (that happened to find me closer to all of Joe’s recommendations in his book….imagine that. As well as help from this forum…) I was able to attain that much desired high temp of 140f! (albeit overblown, as Joe says) So, I did my backyard composters jig and then carried on about my business.

Now I’ve entered a sad time when temps. in the pile have dropped below 35 and shoveling off the pile (let alone a path to it after a 16” storm) has left my perseverance well tested. At that, I reach out a hand to others for their knowledge gained by the humbling and sensible act of taking responsibility for our “waste”.

To roof or not to roof, that is the question.
I currently have no roof and only hardware cloth placed above a straw cover material. (a tricky solution could include a little Yankee ingenuity of using old windows to add a little passive solar,eh?)

Frequency of additions:
What is the effect of a pile’s constant temperature over time (i.e. throughout the winter season) by how often it’s added to?
I am waiting for about 3+ buckets (around 2 weeks time?) to accumulate before taking that trip and now contemplate more frequency at shorter intervals (maybe 2 buckets) to keep temps up?

Cleaning tips and ideas?
Currently using Joe’s rec. of a gallon of hot water (and a nice pair of insulated water proof gloves!)

Sawdust pile management:
I now have my pile of raw sawdust (with ample relative humidity by observing the frost and frozen chunks) covered with a tarp. I pull the tarp and chip away at the “shell” with a shovel until revealing the non-frozen center of dust in order to fill my buckets.

Other topics I've missed are welcomed and thanks in advance for y’alls time and help!
Aaron in NH

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.