New pile, mass vs heat

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: New pile, mass vs heat
Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 12:26 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Unfortunately, in the size of piles used for personal humanure composting, I don't think you can get much hot water generation. If you were to do so, the result would be the cooling of your pile, which would be counterproductive.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 1:56 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

When you hit three feet tall I predict you'll get 140F degrees. Then the whole thing stays hot for a long time. I always stress a bit in the beginning of a pile because it seems like its not heating up,and then it does.

Nancy

Author: Fibulo (Fibulo)
Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 1:25 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I've recently started a new compost pile with the following stats:

Size - 4 x 4 x 4 ft chicken wire wood frame bin
Cover material - leaves and rough cardboard bits
Bucket material - shredded leaf mold

I fill and dump about one bucket per week of pee, feces, and assorted kitchen scraps. I found at little over one foot depth (16 cu ft) I was hitting 60 and now a little over two feet (32 cu ft) I've hit 90. I'm aiming for 120-130. I want to see steam. Any suggestions?

The next step is to run a hose through it to see how much hot water one can generate per hour per cubic foot of compost. Has anyone experimented with this aspect of our mutual hobby?

For once in my life, I can say my sh*t doesn't stink. There's a healthy pride of feral cats in these parts and the compost pile is ignored.

Sincerely,
Fibulo

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.