How much compost on a bed

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: How much compost on a bed
Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Friday, March 04, 2011 - 7:30 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Thank you Joe and MD. So are ashes just as good as potash?

Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Wednesday, March 02, 2011 - 6:19 am

the literature in the ag universities shows that beyond about 10T per acre there is diminishing returns. this translates to about a coverage of 6mm or 1/4" thickness on the surface of the ground. i have laboratory testing and analysis to independently verify this with the compost i am producing.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, February 28, 2011 - 1:38 am

Just add your wood ashes directly to the garden soil. How much is a good question. I suppose further testing after adding the wood ashes would provide some answers. Give the ashes some time to blend in with the soil. I put my ashes on during the winter months when I'm producing them (when I clean out the stoves) and then I roto-till the soil in the spring, blending it all together.

Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Sunday, February 27, 2011 - 10:35 am

I recently did a soil test on the compost that I used to make a raised bed. The compost was made last year. The test kit I used was very old and I'm not sure of it's reliability nor of my ability to use it but one of the results was that it showed a lack of potash.
I've read that wood ashes were used in the past to make potash by a process of boiling, but I'm wondering if it would be effective to just add ashes to the soil. If so, does anyone know how much to add and how often?
I think that I've read here at one time that ashes shouldn't be added to the compost pile.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 5:38 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I use about a wheelbarrow load for each 100 square foot bed. I also use compost as a seed starting mix, and for rooting cuttings. I sent in a compost sample for analysis and found out that it is particularly high in phosphorus, which our soils lack.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 11:33 am

I often just throw a handful of compost in with each plant or right in a seed row rather than spread it openly on a garden area. If I have a lot of compost that I need to use quickly in order to empty out the bin, then I just dump it on the garden space and spread it around. I prefer to use it in a targeted manner though.

Author: Danilo (Danilo)
Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 1:14 pm

How much (in pounds or kg) of compost do you put on a vegetable bed and fruit tree (per 10 sq.feet or sq.meter)?

Approximate figures will be also good :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.