Stone wall compost bin possible?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Stone wall compost bin possible?
Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Monday, March 07, 2011 - 3:18 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

also, bins, in general are mostly an esthetics issue, not a vital part of the composting. I make my compost in open piles, stacked neatly, 1m x 1m x 1m+ tall. since my compost is inside my fenced/walled garden area, i do not need to be keeping animals and children out of the compost pile, specifically.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 9:43 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I think stone is a great idea. Pipes sound like overkill, a waste of money and resources - the cover material both in the bucket and on top of heap should provide all the air needed.

Another option is a wire fence bin. This is very cheap - use the cheapest wire fencing you can find. If the mesh is too large - no big deal - just line the fence with cardboard. Initialy may put say 4 pipes in ground to anchor fence - but as the heap fills the pipes are not realy needed.

Author: Lauriek (Lauriek)
Saturday, March 05, 2011 - 9:45 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I live in hot humid Mexico where wood rots. Can I make my bins out of stone if I put some pipes in the walls as air holes or just make sure there are air spaces? How many spaces/how much air?

Thanks!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.