Expanding your thinking, and your com...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Expanding your thinking, and your compost bins
Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 4:49 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I found a great improvement in heat retention during the winter months when I switched from using 4 pallet bins to using 5 pallet bins. The larger volume worked much better.

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Friday, March 18, 2011 - 1:24 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Size will make a big difference in how often you fill a bin, which also affects how often finished compost is available from the bins.

Like many others I currently use bins made from 4 pallets. When full it is about 1.5 cubic yards. If I were to build a bin that was 5 feet x5 feet by 5 feet it would hold three times the volume (4.5 cubic yards). Currently I fill a bin every 6 months, so I need three bins to keep me going.

Nancy
4.6 cubic yards

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Thursday, March 17, 2011 - 9:08 am

Have built mine with 3 wooden pallets, 1.2meters square, open front closed with loose boards as in Joe's videos. This is adequate size for me, just one person. However, in the last few weeks, 3 young backpackers were staying and I felt the bin was filling up a bit too quick. This was before the pile got heated up, though, so it will probably settle a bit quicker from now onwards.
Will consider some larger pallets, 1.2x1.8, which should be just as easy to join together.
The open slats of the pallets seem to be good for aeration of the pile.

Author: Longsnowsm (Longsnowsm)
Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 9:00 pm

Well just some general observations about humanure composting as it differs from general composting. Prior to starting to compost humanure I already had a couple of compost bins setup, and frankly didn't generate enough fill up one good sized bin with just household waste products. Once we get into the growing season there is a lot more stuff to put in the bins, but household waste alone really wasn't enough to stress the commercially available compost binds I have.

Well since I started composting humanure I am finding that the quantity of material that goes into the bin is substantially more than previously generated with conventional composting and that the commercial bins fill up very quickly. So if your considering composting humanure you may want to consider building your own bins. I will be working on building some bins soon myself. My first of two commercial bins is already full. The second bin I have already started filling with paper, cardboard, and other materials as I have gone into overdrive composting everything. So the second bin is already half full and I haven't added any humanure or household materials to it yet. So I will need to get my own bins up in the next couple of weeks. So you might want to keep this in mind if your just considering starting to compost humanure. The added volume of compostables is much higher than the typical household so you may want to consider building a good size compost bin from the start. I already had these bins so I am not out anything since I had them from my previous composting, but I definitely need to build something much more substantial. YMMV

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.