Curious.

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Curious.
Author: Rman (Rman)
Monday, July 28, 2014 - 8:21 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I think that a heat source without a thermostat would be dangerous. Maybe keep a pail of water on hand and let us know one way or the other.

Author: Nokomis (Nokomis)
Monday, July 28, 2014 - 4:50 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

" it had reached a burning temp but had been starved of oxygen. I don't know if compost could do the same but I expect a too dry main mass with a heating center might."

What temperature would cause a danger for that? To save space by quicker processing, I plan to add a heat source in the middle of my container compost.

When I tested it, an incandesant rope light quickly brought up the heat to 170F.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 12:29 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

No to the second but not sure to the first. I do know about hay fires and having lived around loose hay collection it was a worry if the hay was too green or damp. No ignition source was needed, the heating was the ignition source. I have seen my father salt a hay mow to inhibit heating and the other thing we would do would be to mow back the hay to the sides to promote drying and curing without heat build up. I was told that a local farmer had found one burnt bale in the middle of his pile, it had reached a burning temp but had been starved of oxygen. I don't know if compost could do the same but I expect a too dry main mass with a heating center might.

Author: Chemo (Chemo)
Saturday, July 20, 2013 - 12:16 am

No to both questions. No ignition source in a compost pile to start a fire. As for dirt, it will not contain the carbon and nitrogen necessary for thermophillic breakdown.

Author: Schrippity (Schrippity)
Sunday, March 20, 2011 - 8:29 pm

Two quick questions for ya'll.
Number one: There are frequent barn fires around here, due to damp hay. Isn't there any risk of a fire/smoldering in the compost pile, especially in the summer?
Number two: Could dirt be used for the cover material?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.