Compost Bin - Is Pressure Treated OK?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Compost Bin - Is Pressure Treated OK?
Author: Md_heath (Md_heath)
Monday, April 11, 2011 - 9:39 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

pressure treated wood may or may not have arsenic but it will still have other heavy metals to 'petrify' it. if the lifespan is a big deal treat your wood with a good quality penetrating stain, and each time you empty the bin, re-apply. should outlast you this way. alternatively make the bins from masonry and your great grandchildren will still be able to use them

Author: Compost_d (Compost_d)
Sunday, April 10, 2011 - 10:57 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Rule of thumb, do not use pressure treated wood. Nuff said.
Wood will last for years. Cedar will last longer.
Perhaps, and I'm saying this because it just came up as a question, using linseed oil to preserve the wood longer?? But I would triple-check before doing that.

I used pallets for my heap. Pressure treated wood is too expensive to use in pallets. So no worries there.

Author: Thedug (Thedug)
Thursday, April 07, 2011 - 1:00 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I'd like to build a composting bin that I know will be around for awhile, is pressure treated ok? Does it actually contain arsenic? I thought they passed laws to change that....

If I don't use pressure treated, how long can I expect the bin to hold up in the elements?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.