Adding pathogen free waste during fin...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Adding pathogen free waste during final year
Author: Joe (Joe)
Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 11:35 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

"Wood chips" will compost in larger piles, depending on what you mean by wood chips. If they are actual chips of wood maybe 1.5" in diameter, they're not going to compost. Some people call wood shavings "wood chips." These will compost in larger piles over time.

Author: Jeffm (Jeffm)
Monday, May 16, 2011 - 5:49 pm

Thanks Joe,

I thought that the 600 gallons of the waste veggie oil that I had was to be a one off. It was going to be pig food but the pigs dont like it. (it is kinda gross I dont blame them!). The company is offering to deliver 600 gallons or about 4000 pounds every two weeks for free. I am going to have a go at composting as if it were humanure it in a windrow separate from the humanure compost heap by mixing it with old hay that I can get for free. Over the winter I will keep my chickens on top of the compost in a simple hoop coop and they will hopefully stay warm from the heat given off and maybe even fed too from the bugs and critters in the compost. Once it cools off it wil go in my garden. I hope in a few years to have an acre or more of very rich soil for a market garden. I keep my pigs on it now and they are doing their bit.

The material is liquid, sawdust works great to 'thicken' it to a consistency of wet cement and off course give it carbon but I'd like to keep my sawdust for my humanure. I have access to woodchips as well as hay and sawdust. I know you dont recommend wood chips for small humamanure composting do you think using wood chips in a large pile that has already heated up will work?

Author: Joe (Joe)
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 10:34 am

The compost needs to completely cool down and become dormant before it can be used on the garden. You should allow a lengthy curing period. You can experiment with it. Let us know what happens.

Author: Jeffm (Jeffm)
Monday, May 09, 2011 - 11:27 am

Hi I am about to put let my first humanure compost age for a year to kill off any possible pathogens and mellow as per the BOOK . I have access to a large amount of waste vegetable oil (gunk filtered out before bio-diesel making process, all pre-consumer waste,no chemical added all originally food grade though you would want to eat it now!) that I have been mixing with sawdust and adding to the humanure compost. This heats up beautifully as you can imagine. Anyways I was wondering if it would be OK to keep adding to the old humanure compost until maybe December and use the compost in the garden in May.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.