Clay soil and wet climate

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Clay soil and wet climate
Author: The_virginian (The_virginian)
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 1:19 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Pile rocks about a foot high off the ground and make your pile, this should mitigate any moisture issues.

Author: Willowchurch (Willowchurch)
Wednesday, May 25, 2011 - 10:46 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. My soil is heavy clay with a fair amount of small stones/rocks mixed in. The compost pile is at the top of a slope. However, when you dig a hole on my property it fills half full with ground water (even without rain). It also rains pretty frequently. So, my new compost pile is sodden, even with lots of old hay at the bottom and around the edges. Should I redesign the system (which is a carbon copy of the less-fancy one in the humanure handbook)? I live alone and am an active but ageing woman, so simplicity, low-tech and light-lifting are key issues for success! At the moment, the pile has no roof, so I am thinking that that would be a first step, but I don't want to do that (at least not yet) if I should really re-design to get the whole thing up off the ground somehow.

Any suggestions warmly welcomed!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.