Humanure Composting on a Membrane Roo...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Humanure Composting on a Membrane Roof in the City?
Author: Ian (Ian)
Friday, July 29, 2011 - 3:25 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

You would probably be better off doing it in your closet.

Unless you have a backyard or some kind of outdoor space, avoid humanure composting. Take shits in your park discreetly. Safer for everyone. Or, if you are really hardcore, take a shit in a newspaper laid out on the floor, roll it up, and bring it to the park and start your own discreet heap. (These are dares.)

Find a friend or neighbor with a backyard and carry your full buckets over there once a week. Avoid public transit, please.

We must all be daring in these foreboding times.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Tuesday, July 12, 2011 - 2:58 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Are you joking ?

The pile is very heavy and would put great concentrated strain on a roof, maybe causing eventual collapse.

The membrane would be waterproof ?

It would lose the benefit of worms and soil critters unless you add them - even then they cant migrate up and down to soil as they see fit.

How would you get on roof to dump contents ?

What is roof angle ?

What about rain, snow - unlike the ground - the water would angle into to the bottom and from above the pile causing lots of leachate.

Then there is wind - it could blow stuff out of pile - seems like it would need some sort of cover.

Looks hard to do.

Author: Theblackdane (Theblackdane)
Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 6:19 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Is this totally out of the question?
My concerns are run-off liquids primarily, although the posts about spontaneous combustion have me a little worried too...
Is there any way to deal with these issues so that I can have my poop pile in the sky?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.