Smelling compost loo

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Smelling compost loo
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, August 08, 2011 - 2:36 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Make sure there is a layer of finely ground cover material above the pile at all times. If still smells add more cover material, and if it still smells perhaps cover it with damp cover material. The smell is xs Nitrogen. Can try to cover whole pile with 2 sheets of paper (i.e black and white newspaper) then add cover material over that if needed.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 5:51 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Sorry, Huia, in my haste I misread your question.

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 5:47 pm

"Make sure to dig a samll hole in the center of compost pile, and dump bucket contents there.
Recover the contents and then: "

It is impractical to dig a hole in the center of the pile within a composting loo, which is not the same as an outdoor compost pile.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 11:59 pm

Hula, in my experience with the "RotaLoo," here in Australia, the heap is someway (can be a few feet) from the top of the pedestal. When you put a "few handfuls" of sawdust down there, it is not guaranteed to cover fresh excreta, as in the Humanure 5-gal bucket. With the bucket, you can easily make sure everything is covered, and tend to put more sawdust on as a result. This, I believe, makes for the non-smelly nature of the Humanure system.
Does this information help in any way with your own situation there?

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 11:56 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

The compost outside is smelling ?

Solution:

Make sure to dig a samll hole in the center of compost pile, and dump bucket contents there.
Recover the contents and then:

Add more cover material, but especially cover material that is finely ground up will help alot. Chopped leaves, chopped grass, chopped up weeds and even chopped up newspaper.

Author: Huia (Huia)
Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 12:14 am

Hi there, we purchased a ready built composting loo 3 months ago and have been using it ever since. Be started the heap as per out instructions - peat, compost, shavings. The heap is definately smellier (mainly smells of urine/amonia) than we anticipated. It will be good for a few days, then start smelling again. We are adding a few handfulls of sawdust after each use. We are wondering if there is anything else we can add to the heap or if we have our ratios wrong. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.