Water in outhouse pit ?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Water in outhouse pit ?
Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Friday, August 12, 2011 - 12:00 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Yes. Your best bet would be to not do a pit at all but build the whole thing above ground. Have you read the Humanure Handbook? By submerging your poop in water you will be preventing composting and polluting the groundwater with fecal organisms.

See the humanure handbook for the arguement against pit toilets.
Nancy

Author: Chrisr (Chrisr)
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 3:19 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Short question:
How important is it to keep water out of the pit ?

Long explanation:
I'm in the process of building a new outhouse, which will be a composting unit (i.e. emptied every year or so).

The pit is about 2' deep - that's as far as I could go before hitting 'hard pan' (hard packed clay).

I have built the wooden box for the pit. I've been watching the water level while I am building the outhouse. This weekend we had an exceptional amount of rain, and I now have 8" of water in the bottom.

Is the water in the pit sufficient reason to move the pit and start again ?

I am building a roof with a generous overhang, and will be grading to re-direct surface water, so once I'm done the issue should be less severe...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.