Additional Safety Measures for Non Fo...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Additional Safety Measures for Non Food crops
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Wednesday, January 11, 2012 - 1:54 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

One more idea - maybe there is some kind of wash that can be used to clean the herbs/vegis/fruit that would provide an extra margin of safety. I am guessing that the fruit/vegi industry probably has some kind of cleanser that could work for your circumstance.

1) I think I read someplace that a very mild bleach solution is used to clean vegis/fruit. You would have to do more research on the safety of this practice. I am concerned about what chemical toxins might be in bleach.

2) Sometimes we use something called "Veggie Wash". Its 100% all natural derived from plant material. The company says its laboratory tested and proven to remove unwanted residues(wax,soil, agricultural chemicals).

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, January 09, 2012 - 7:56 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Good question !

The "Book" does not discuss additional steps to my recollection. However, time is discussed and time will kill many but not all pathogens.

Having said that I think the "Book" also discourages crops grown with your humanmanure being used off your premises - probably out of fear that maybe, just maybe some pathogen could survive. If yours is a commercial venture it may also open up liability issues for you.

One idea is to have your compost tested for pathogens. If it passes the tests gives you some protection I would think.

Author: Propergandhi (Propergandhi)
Monday, January 09, 2012 - 2:09 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

My friends and I are interested in growing primroses, witch hazel and lavender in our backgarden. To make organic cosmetics and essential oils.

I appologise for the 'newbie' question. I want to stress that I am completely convinced by the effectiveness of Thermophillic composting.

However are there any additional steps that kill pathogens on the crops themselves since these are intended to be non-foods.

These steps are purely to reassure customers. I will be targetting environmentally concerned clients. But it will help with marketing.

Thanks in advance for any posters response and guidance

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.