White eggs and puffs in and around co...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: White eggs and puffs in and around composting toilet. Help!
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, February 10, 2012 - 5:07 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

In case Remedys is still having difficulty reducing the size of photo file, I have found Irfanview has pretty good facility, fairly easy to use.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Saturday, February 04, 2012 - 1:57 pm

Pics are limited in size to 200 kb (maybe 400 kb - I don't remember). If they're bigger than that, they won't upload.

Author: Remedys (Remedys)
Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 4:57 pm

Uploading the pics isn't working (when I click upload attachments and search for them they don't show up).

Like I said above, I put some already composted compost in my humanure bucket-- today I looked in the bucked of compost, and I saw the same white balls. Now I'm thinking that maybe the white balls came from the compost pile, and are a healthy fungi.

Monday, January 30, 2012 - 1:28 am

description of puffy things:
2- 6 inches long, .5-2 inches wide, 1 inch tall clump of either soil or manure, with skinny (1mm) white strands about 2 inches long, all over it
most look sorta like individual turds... some hot dog shape, some like a small hamburger :-)
can be broken apart fairly easily w/ a stick, don't smell.
they're resting on dirt.. pretty bare dirt, clayey soil.. near a building.
i'll work on getting pics up tomorrow
fungus sounds good.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Sunday, January 29, 2012 - 5:41 pm

post photos

Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 7:27 pm

Pictures, I want to see pictures. :-)

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 2:38 pm

It sounds like a type of fungus, but can you give us a better description of the "puffs?" Like their size, shape, what they are growing on or in? Fungi of various (many I believe)species grow on woody waste. Fungi emit enzymes which are essential in the breakdown of Lignin, i.e., the tough part of wood. Various moulds are present as well, from time to time. It's all part of the wonderful ecology which we are tapping into when we use the Humanure system.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 - 1:22 pm

Hey y'all,
I have an outdoor composting toilet (brrr) that I started about 3 months ago- a bucket system with a composting heap seperate.
I just put a toilet seat right on a bucket (so there was a little opening- now I'm thinking it's better to put a tight lid on it when not in use), and I put saw dust, wood ash, and compost (non-humanure compost) on top of my poop.
Pretty soon after I started it a couple (maybe 20) tiny white egg like things gathered around the base of the bucket.
I hardly noticed them.. wondering if maybe they'd even been there before I started-- the toilet is behind a community building. But they gathered in so closely.. they must relate to the toilet-- also, they were in a semicircle closest to where the toilet seat sticks out and there's an opening.
So this pretty much stays as is, maybe growing very slowly.
I go away on vacation about a month ago, and put a tight lid on the toilet- then I come back, 2 weeks ago, and it's exploded (not literally)! Lots of white eggs in the toilet, lots of white puffs (about 3 inch diameter), also about 14 of these white puffs within 10ft of the toilet, some in the shape of a line. At first I thought they were clustered to poop (how could poop be on the ground though??), and now I think they could just cluster on dirt.
I picked them up (the puffs, not the eggs) and sealed in a plastic back and disposed, but they keep coming back, about 5 a week-- also, more eggs are appearing (about 120) and spreading slowly it seems.
Previously I was just putting a thin layer (about a handful of sawdust) over my poop (so it wasn't fully covered). When I got back from vacation I put a solid layer of about an inch on top-- I haven't been using the composting toilet since I've been back.
I wonder if it's an intestinal thing I have-- I show no symptoms though-- except bad smelling farts :-).
Googling it the eggs did look somewhat like tapeworm or roundworm or somehting.
Wondering if the puffs are just mold...
Any feedback much appreciated!
cheerio

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.