Little flies

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Little flies
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Sunday, March 11, 2012 - 7:30 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Fine sawdust. Although coffee grounds are high in Nitrogen, it may also work, but you need alot to cover the top of pile.

Remember - when dumping bucket contents - make center of pile depression, then dump contents, then recover center. Then put on a thick layers of your leaves - that should stop them. If it does not THEN add an additional layer as follows:

Use a few layers of newspaper over the whole pile, or even that paper mulch some stores sell. Weigh it down or straw or weeds or sticks or rocks. Even covering the pile with a sheet of plastic will stop flies.

Author: Mindimmf (Mindimmf)
Saturday, March 10, 2012 - 10:00 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Thank you. Do you have a suggestion for finer, more carbon cover material? We use mostly hay and not-so-ground-up leaves (do not have time to grind up that many leaves).

Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Monday, March 05, 2012 - 9:22 pm

My chicken coop is only about four feet from my compost. I've found it's not uncommon to have a few flies around the compost pile. I doubt that they will ever bother the chickens.
I often give my chickens kitchen scraps that my neighbors have let hanging on by back gate. There are usually fruit flies in the bag when I open it. I've never heard my hen complain. She probably eats the flies if she can catch them.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, March 05, 2012 - 7:12 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I agree -

Can use a finer (more ground up) material to cover the pile. If carbon material the better.

Actually, a few layers of newspaper, weigthed down with say rocks will stop flies.

Place bucket contents in center of pile.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, March 05, 2012 - 3:54 pm

You need more or better cover material.

Author: Mindimmf (Mindimmf)
Saturday, March 03, 2012 - 12:02 pm

Hi,
I'm new at humanuring... Is there any reason to be concerned about swarms of little flies around the compost, that look like fruit flies? Are they an indicator that we're doing something wrong, and also could they become a nuisance (e.g. to our chickens who live nearby)? The season is only just beginning to get warm...

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.