What if -- (solar, rv, etc.)

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: What if -- (solar, rv, etc.)
Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, March 05, 2012 - 7:07 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Please read The "BOOK"

1) What do you do in the cooler months ?

2) The book also discusses the vital role played by worms, insects and other soil dwellers together with time in making compost safe. They would be lacking in such a system.

3) The higher the temperatures and the longer they are high, the better. Therefore, a thermophilic system is the best from a safety standpoint. Will the bucket reach high enough temperature for long enough period - see chart in book.

4) Time also plays a role in making compost safe - your suggestion does not have time on it's side.

5)"hanging 5 or 6' of 3-4" pvc pipe with a bottom cap(vertically)on the outside of the van for my compost pile" - that is not a compost pile, it will become a stinking unsafe pipe full of sh-t.

Author: Solargirl (Solargirl)
Monday, March 05, 2012 - 7:15 am

I was also thinking of adding one of those flat cargo carriers onto the trailer hitch and putting a large pen for chickens. I suppose I could use it for compost barrels instead. I'd like an interconnected system though. Thanks in advance for any input.

Author: Solargirl (Solargirl)
Monday, March 05, 2012 - 12:43 am

Hi, I'm Bonnie and this is what I'm envisioning. I'm retrofitting a conversion van for full-time use. I have no room for compost bins. I'm thinking of painting an 18-quart stainless steel stock pot (with lid) flat black, putting a toilet lid on it, and putting it in the sun after use, letting it cook like a solar oven. Urine would go somewhere else unless it evaporated well. I was also thinking about hanging 5 or 6' of 3-4" pvc pipe with a bottom cap(vertically)on the outside of the van for my compost pile and letting the rain come down.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.