Kitchen scraps

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Kitchen scraps
Author: Chemo (Chemo)
Sunday, December 08, 2013 - 11:40 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Test 2, If you got that much grease, put an add on Craigslist and give to biodiesel makers.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, March 30, 2012 - 4:48 pm

If you have suffcient sawdust at hand, try mixing a larger quantity of oil or fat,heated to make it runny, into the sawdust. You will find the oil is well absorbed by the sawdust, and it will most likely be unattractive to the rodents. Then add that contaminated sawdust gradually to the compost pile.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Wednesday, March 28, 2012 - 12:00 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

@utopian - I agree with what you say. Normal amounts yes, but I was talking about putting in beyond normal amounts. For example about 7 gallons of grease,fats,meats at a time.

Author: Utopian (Utopian)
Sunday, March 25, 2012 - 7:16 pm

I don't agree with the concept of "too much" grease, fats, or meat in a humanure compost pile. If you place normal kitchen output into the center of a compost pile along with your normal humanure output and then cover it as you are supposed to do, then that material is going to quickly heat up along with the rest of your pile. Rodents will not be attracted to the material both because its smell will be masked and because it will quickly be broken down by the heat of the pile.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Thursday, March 22, 2012 - 7:55 pm

Too much grease, fats, meat may attract rodents.
Put only minimal amounts of such in the pile.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, March 20, 2012 - 2:24 pm

I have always added any citrus peel, sour cream, meat scraps, egg shells, old soup left-overs, onion skins, chicken bones, etc., to my compost. Like the Humanure process, BURY it in the middle of the compost.

Several years go I was looking after the worm-beds in an environmental theme park. One day I noticed someone had put half a grapefruit skin, dome upwards, on top of the worm-bed. When I turned the skin over, it was absolutely full of worms; like full of spagetti! They were loving it!

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Monday, March 19, 2012 - 2:50 pm

I keep a quart-size plastic container with a lid in the corner of my sink. It usually gets filled in a day. I carry it out to the outdoor pile, dump the contents, and cover them. The container is rinsed after use, then washed with the dishes about once a week or as needed. The worms love just about everything except citrus peeling, which does eventually decompose. Be sure to have at least six inches of cover material over the garbage or critters will get to it. Once I buried what was left of the turkey carcass not deep enough. A raccoon dug in and carried it off. He left a calling card, so that's how I know it was a raccoon. YMMV.

(Message edited by demeter on March 19, 2012)

Author: Danilo (Danilo)
Sunday, March 18, 2012 - 4:12 am

For collecting all my kitchen scarps I used small bucket 10 liter (2.6 gallons). After I empty in compost, first I rinse, then clean bucket with kitchen sponge.

Author: E0richt (E0richt)
Saturday, March 17, 2012 - 9:56 pm

what are valid types of kitchen scraps that can go into the compost. are there things that should not go? also how does one handle collecting the scraps? do you guys use a mini pail type of thing, do you put it in the bucket that you use? are there any problems with putting scraps into the bucket?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.