Composting in a 5 gallon pail

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Composting in a 5 gallon pail
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Monday, May 07, 2012 - 5:00 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

No, Erik. Not the best way, although without the urine in the bucket I don't think there would be much of a problem. However, you will not have good compost. Without a diversity of organisms, like worms, etc., in the bucket, and without the right moisture level, at the end of a year you will have leaves and a few dried, maybe fungus-covered, turds.
I really recommend downloading Joe's Humanure Handbook if you have not already done so. That is THE best way of dealing with your excreta. Don't skip over the details; they are what make the whole method work so well.
Wishing you success, you are on the right road.

Author: Ecoliving27 (Ecoliving27)
Sunday, May 06, 2012 - 10:06 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hello EVERYONE, New to the forum though I've been reading the site for about a year now.

I'm very green oriented and finishing building my Tiny house. I will be using a composting toilet with urine diverter.

The toilet uses a 5 gallon pail for collecting the fecal matter and I'm wondering if this mixture, fecal and shredded leaves (no urine), can be composted in the pail.

I'm under the impression that once the pail is 2/3 full it can simply be covered, and dated, and left to sit for one year. After a year the remainder in the pail will be garden ready compost.
Is this correct?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.