Composting old clothes?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Composting old clothes?
Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Saturday, June 30, 2012 - 8:07 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

You might do better donating to a charity that takes rags. The fibers are then used in high-grade paper, commercial wipe-rags, and even some clothing. Our local Disable Veterans does take them. Check to make sure.

Cotton does break down in the compost pile, but it takes a long time.

Author: Jeffm (Jeffm)
Friday, June 29, 2012 - 11:53 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I wear my clothes out. I will wear old T shirts and jeans in the garden and bumming around until they are literally falling to pieces. Eventually the times comes when they have to be disposed off. Can cotton clothing be composted? I cant see why not but how long would it take to compost cotton shirts?
If I put them at the bottom of a new humanure pile will they be gone in two years when the pile is ready to go on the garden? Or will I still have a nasty very old and dirty piece of clothing?

Has anyone ever done this?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.