"Family Cloth"?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: "Family Cloth"?
Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 1:58 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I wouldn't wash my underwear separately, but I would hope that they aren't nearly as soiled as one of these cloths.
I think that I would probably want to wash them separately in hot water with two rinses. Maybe even with bleach.
But what do I know?

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 7:49 am

Demeter, this is funny. I believe in the UK when lawyers get promoted, the are said to "take the cloth." Any connection with the current topic?

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 - 12:18 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Nancy, no. They go for a free ride in the laundry with the hot whites. Would you wash underwear separately?

Author: Nancybeetoo (Nancybeetoo)
Friday, September 07, 2012 - 6:35 pm

I have switched for pee, but still use TP for poop. The next step is obvious.

Thanks to all on this forum for challenging and inspiring me.

Demeter- do you wash those rags separate from other laundry?

Thursday, September 06, 2012 - 3:31 am

Hahaha! Test2. Yes, interesting points.
Indian people rarely "shake hands," preferring the "hands-together-in-front" gesture which is a very warm and friendly thing to do.
The right hand is reserved for eating your food with. So the left hand is used for anal cleansing.
Yes, effectively the washing water becomes "black water." Cleansing water usually goes into the faucet and is discharged with the excreta. If using a humanure composting toilet I can see there is a problem of how to dispose of the cleansing water.
I don't know the answer to this. Does anyone know of solutions that work?
My experimental grey water filtration method keeps it aerobic to start with and any E.coli etc. will normally be dealt with by the worms and other microbes in the mulch.
More scientific research needs to be done on this.
Hoping this post leads to some more enlightening discussion.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 8:05 pm

@ecointerest - doesn't this transfer the problem from one area, to another - the left hand. I suppose you then wash your hands with soap. I think the main reason we clean is to stop contaminating our cloths. Would it now be "Black Water" wich is a bigger problem than grey water.

I propose we eliminate clothing, weather permitting. This is not so far fetched actually - many cultures went around kind of nude, but most "civilized" places would likely frown. Interestingly, when they were forced to cloth by the "good" christians, morbidity rates rose greatly. Besides, I may go blind seeing all the fat ugly americans around me.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 7:55 pm

@demeter - yup, sun drying will disinfect - very good idea. There is the cost of the cleaners versus the cost of toilet paper, From an environmental standpoint still not sure. Thanks for sharing your Idea.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 2:39 am

The people of India and other countries of the sub-continent have had the right answer for a million years..... use plain water, with the left hand.
Ok, when you use the Loveable Loo, you don't want too much water going into the bucket, so.... do as the French people do: have a Bidet or the equivalent. A plastic bowl reserved especially for the purpose works well. That water will be contaminated of course, so be careful how you deal with the grey water.
Much less toilet paper is needed when using a dry composting toilet anyway. Sorry for being so direct, but there is no "splash back" like you get from a water closet.

Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - 12:29 am

Of course they are cotton, but they only go in the compost if they are really icky, which isn't often. One old T shirt cut into 4" squares will provide enough family cloth for a long time.

The two main differences between little rags and cloth diapers are 1)size, and 2)not so messy for #2. I wash them in a mesh bag in hot water with borax, soap, and washing soda. I spread them out to dry flat in the sun on a mesh drying rack. Very little trouble, since I line-dry my laundry.

(Message edited by demeter on September 05, 2012)

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - 12:42 am

Do you mean using rags instead of toilet paper ? I assume you are putting the rags into the compost - if so make sure the rags have no synthetics otherwise they will not decompose. But if you decide to wash those rags, thats like washing diapers - which might be a bit of a pain (may need to use chlorine...) plus I am not sure its more evironmentaly friendly than just useing toilet paper.

Sunday, September 02, 2012 - 12:50 am

Just curious how many folks have switched from toilet paper to "family cloth." I did about a month ago, and am kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.