2 years and still no rotting

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: 2 years and still no rotting
Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, September 19, 2012 - 3:21 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

You need a thermometer. Otherwise, you're guessing.

Author: Yigenuren (Yigenuren)
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 - 7:34 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Thank you for your responses. I can only get to a computer about once a week for only an hour or so. I do add all urine to the pile. I don't have a thermometer to test the temperature but I've seen video of people diging throught their piles with steam pouring out. Never happens. I add a new bucket every week or 1 1/2 weeks. I live alone, and add all scraps to the top of the pile, until I make a depression for a new bucket load. I will check about the sawdust and see about possibly finding a new source. Has anyone else used straw instead of wood? I can't remember reading about that. Perhaps that would 'start' things moving?
Thanks again for your input.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Sunday, September 16, 2012 - 11:52 am

Do you have a compost thermometer? What temperatures are you reading? How often do you feed the pile and how much do you give it each time?

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, September 14, 2012 - 12:46 am

Only two suggestions that I can think of right now: first, what type of sawdust is it? Depending on the species of tree where you live, some have oil in the wood which virtually protects the sawdust from decaying for a very long time.
Secondly, do you add all available urine into the bucket? Lack of nitrogen can prevent heating.

Author: Knothead (Knothead)
Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 8:31 pm

Perhaps you're getting too much rain?
It's hard to diagnose a problem over the internet. But in the worst case, just leave it sit and let nature take it's course.
Eventually, the worms, fungi and insects will take care of the issue.
Are you restricted by space and therefore in a hurry?

Author: Yigenuren (Yigenuren)
Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 7:53 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hopefully I can get some help here. I've browsed through a bunch of posts about people's compost not heating up and slow composting time and I feel I've covered all my bases but even after 2 years my 'older' compost pile is still basically a dark brown pile of sawdust (when I dig into it). I've never been able to get any sort of heating effect happen in either pile (I'm on pile 2 now). I've even tried burying a few road killed critters and they don't even seem to decompose well in the pile let alone start some sort of thermal 'cooking'.
the pile is not dry and is exposed to lots of rain. The cover material I use in the house is sawdust which I was assured was not treated (a sawmill that makes pallets) and straw outside as well as all kitchen scraps. I've added soil and worms at one point
HELP!!! I really want this to work but am feeling VERY discouraged.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.