Feminine hygiene products

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Feminine hygiene products
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 5:19 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Halipoo, I was having a similar question regarding plastic windows from envelopes. It has been my habit to shred envelopes as office waste, then put the shredded paper/plastic film into my compost. The plastic remains intact for long enough to be incorporated back into the soil after composting.
I guess, without having any knowledge of plastics chemistry, that it might depend upon the exact plastic. It might be cellulose acetate, for example, made from wood fibre. Maybe other types of plastic would be more of a problem.
Some expert input here would be valuable.

Author: Halipoo (Halipoo)
Thursday, February 19, 2015 - 11:25 am

I have a similar question, in a way. Disposable coffee cups contain cotton/paper and some plastic, like feminine hygeine products. Sometimes I pull the plastic out after the cardboard decays. Does anyone think there is a danger from plastic dust left behind being a contaminant?

Author: Beckyladakh (Beckyladakh)
Wednesday, October 30, 2013 - 1:17 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Sorry it's late but. I've been composting standard o.b. brand tampons from CVS for 15 years in our large direct drop toilets. There is not a trace of a blue string after 1 year. We also have to pull out a lot of plastic napkin liners (we have a lot of young woman students), but the cotton part totally disappears. I think the blood saturation in the cotton probably makes it decompose especially well. Don't worry about it and throw everything in!

Author: Joe (Joe)
Saturday, March 23, 2013 - 11:59 am

Throw them and your humanure and urine all into the same compost pile (including food scraps, etc., etc.). when the compost has fully matured, you will have to pick out any pieces of plastic. We composted them for years.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 10:16 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Just for clarification are they non-toxic ?
Are they bio-compatable ?
What does it Biodgrade into ? For example some plastics just break down into smaller pieces of plastic and who wants that in their garden.

Can you supply name of product ?

Author: Tinagirl (Tinagirl)
Wednesday, March 20, 2013 - 10:15 am

Sorry if this grosses anyone out but while we're discussing humanure I might as well ask: I plan to start using a compost toilet and wanted to know what should I do with the used tampons/pads? I buy the ones from the health food store that are biodegradeable and free from chemicals. Should I discard them along with the toilet paper directly into the compost toilet receptable OR should I dispose of them separately? I already have a compost pile that does not yet contain humanure, should I add them to the pile or create a separate compost pile just for the feminine products? Any suggestion/experience would be great.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.