Proximity of food plants to humanure ...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Proximity of food plants to humanure compost pile
Author: Joe (Joe)
Tuesday, April 09, 2013 - 9:56 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

The tree roots will not go up into the pile unless you leave it there, undisturbed, forever.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Saturday, April 06, 2013 - 12:51 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Currently I just planted a young fruit tree about 18" from the pile. Not concerned about leachate because of the biological sponge and what little may reach the ground would probably just fertilize. I am not sure if the tree roots will get into the pile and if they do will it harm the tree ?. It would certainly harm the pile plenty and cause a problem for the tree. May need to cut the roots. One option is to dig a trench between the pile and the tree - gee maybe I should be doing that.

Author: Liam (Liam)
Friday, April 05, 2013 - 4:48 pm

I just started my pile and I wasn't sure if the roots from the trees would go up into the pile or if leachate from the pile would go into the soil.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Saturday, March 30, 2013 - 10:00 am

You can plant fruit trees right beside the compost pile. How are pathogens getting out of your pile and into the surrounding soil? Sound like a management issue.

Tuesday, March 26, 2013 - 1:36 am

Thanks a lot Test2.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Monday, March 25, 2013 - 3:42 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

A few feet should be plenty. For a few years mine was less than a foot away and I am still fine. First I am not diseased. Also recall there is a biological sponge at the base. Then the contents are dumped in the center of the pile. So only thru wind or rain some how blowing off material can the stuff reach the garden. Keeping the pile covered with uncontaminated material helps at the top. If the sides are lined with boards or card board or some other clean material so much the better - mine was. I always wash my vegi's before eating them, well almost always. Maybe a bird flew over them.

Monday, March 25, 2013 - 2:00 am

hello fellow humanure composters,
So I have a question, does anyone know how close I can plant fruit trees or other food plants to my humanure compost pile without my food possibly getting contaminated with pathogens from my fresh poop? thanks.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.