Combining old humanure piles

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Combining old humanure piles
Author: Joe (Joe)
Thursday, May 16, 2013 - 1:06 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

That's quite interesting. Thanks for the info!

Author: Chester (Chester)
Wednesday, May 15, 2013 - 5:34 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

Here is an update on my post. Interestingly, when I first combined the old piles, I made a pile of about 2 feet high and lightly covered with straw. Temperatures were around 70 F. So I restacked it to a smaller perimeter pile but 4 feet high and layered a heavier lay of straw on top. Shortly after that process the temperature went to 100 F. The day after it went to 120 F. And today it is 122 F. Granted the temperatures here are going higher during the day; in the range of middle to high 70s F. However, it seems the pile is starting to work; kind of much to my surprise.

Author: Chester (Chester)
Tuesday, May 14, 2013 - 8:06 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

If I had read the Jenkin's humanure book, I wouldn't be doing this now. However, as of 3 weeks ago I had three piles of humanure compost from a year ago to 3 weeks ago of age. They were pretty much left on their own with probably too much straw incorporated in their history. Now, I have combined them in a proper humanure enclosure and am keeping them in moisture. If they never heat up enough for vegetable use, then I'll use it in other ways. I am curious to see if the pile does reach suitable temperatures given the ages of the piles I combined. I am starting a new pile with the proper procedures as per the humanure book and my hopes are much higher for it. I am living in northern New Mexico and so will need to be on top of the moiture thing. I have just signed on to the forum and am enjoying the comments and insights so far.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.