Snakes in my hot humanure pile

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Snakes in my hot humanure pile
Author: Pahinh (Pahinh)
Thursday, May 01, 2014 - 4:50 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Jeffm, those are garter snakes. Great mousers! I haven't seen any in my manure pile but have in my compost piles.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, June 24, 2013 - 10:23 am

I have seen lots of snake eggs in my straw piles and sometimes in my sawdust piles. Haven't seen the actual snakes, though. I put some old compost on a flower bed yesterday and there were snake eggs in it (hatched).

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Sunday, June 23, 2013 - 1:54 am

Sounds like Genesis and the Garden of Eden come to haunt you all over again, Jeff :-)

Author: Jeffm (Jeffm)
Saturday, June 22, 2013 - 10:01 pm

I have an ever growing family of garder (garden?) snakes living in my hot humanure pile. Enjoying no doubt all that nice heat. Anyone else see this in their piles?

These snakes are completely harmless and I have no fear of them so its no problem so I am happy with live and let live although I know a few people who run screaming in the other direction at the sight if them.
These are the only type of snakes we have around here. As happy as I am with my humanure composting system, if I lived where venomous snakes are, seeing a rattlesnake warming itself in my humanure might make me switch back to the flusher!

Has anyone ever seen a posionous snake in their shit pile?

Just curious. Global Warming will have to really kick off before rattlesnakes and cotton mouths move into Eastern Ontario!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.