New- various issues

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: New- various issues
Author: Bronko (Bronko)
Friday, October 18, 2013 - 10:34 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Back to daytime adding to the compost. There was one white faced hornet but he didn't stay around.

I'm probably going to get some chicken wire and pile up all the leaves I rake up in the yard. This will be the compost pile biomass cover.

Friday, September 20, 2013 - 1:50 pm

It's a nice 74 f out. Sitting on the deck with no shirt, have to go to work soon. I was able to add (in order) my daily felinure, kitchen wastes, exp. fruit juice, coffee grinds, and jug o piss. I topped it off with some mostly green cover I netted out of the pond.
Less yj's out today, also white face hornets. Had to do a few strategic retreats ("hell, we're not retreating...we're advancing rapidly to the rear") which I time with hose cleanups of filter, jugs, and pails. I add the cleaning water back to the pile. (as Joe says, don't waste any biologically active liquids).

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 - 12:07 pm

Today it was nice to add to the pile in the morning sun. It got down to 41 f last night, so the yj's weren't as active.

Time to start winterizing the ol' 160 year old house

Author: Billy_thr_krik (Billy_thr_krik)
Monday, September 16, 2013 - 9:02 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I like the drill attachment idea... Avoids cardboard tasting pastry and can blend more that using a blender. Shall keep an eye out for the required attachment.

Monday, September 16, 2013 - 1:55 pm

Billy, why not use a drill attachment mixer and a 5 gal bucket. Bury the bucket 1/2 in the ground for stability.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Monday, September 16, 2013 - 7:31 am

Oh Billy, you are having fun! I only trust you don't blame your wife when the next bit of pastry comes out tasting like cardboard.....

Monday, September 16, 2013 - 5:20 am

Wife clamped down on the use of the blender yesterday! So I mulched up the sodden cardboard paper with my hends and mixed it with grass and leaf clippings and coffee grinds and pressed that into abowl shaped sieve and have placed it in the sun to dry. The reason for this eccentricity I don't know yet, but more shall be revealed!

Monday, September 16, 2013 - 2:22 am

Thanks Test2,
I have a neighbor who has been living next door for 50 years. He showed me the highest flood line he remembers. A N'oreaster on top of frozen ground, late winter. It reached 1/3 up my sloped property 4 years ago. (I hope this is the 100 year storm. Also the towns director of public works, who has been on the job 35+ years says it's the biggest storm he has seen). My pile is and will be above this line, which I hope is the 100 year flood. This is where I live. The good Lord willing I'll get another 20 to 30 years here. I want to terrace and raise my land. I feel composting is the right thing to so. By no means do I want to be irresponsible and spread disease. I believe that if I keep the compost pile above the historical flood line I'm doing my best to address these risks.

Bill

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 11:46 pm

@Bronko - not sure it wise to compost human manure in a flood prone area. Seems to me somewhat irresponsible if flooding can be expected.

Author: Test2 (Test2)
Sunday, September 15, 2013 - 11:42 pm

@Billy_thr_krik - I am going to tell your wife about wasting electricity, time and causing premature failure of the house blender. Dont be penny wise and dollar foolish. Put food scraps into a bucket snd just cover with newspaper/little sawdust/coffe grounds and filters/little peat moss. Empty the bucket into outside compost pile.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 7:02 pm

Same here Billy, the wife is a bit appalled with the bucket and detergent jug. Of course when we lost power a week at a time, then had a grinder pump sewer failure she seemed happy to see the loo.

I thought of using the peat moss for covering daily kitchen wastes but trying to keep costs low. The inside bucket encourages use (and will be good in the winter) The 5 gal on the deck for larger and odorous things.

My yard has potential flood issues and a very compacted soil so I consider getting good compost an emergency issue

Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 6:01 pm

For the kitchen scraps I use a bowl lined with a compostable recipient I make out of cardboard, coffee grinds and leaves secretly mixed in the wife's blender and passed through a bowlshaped sieve (like making recycled paper). Umm just a crazy thing Im experimenting with. If it werent for the daily deposits I would then place the scraps in a 20l bucket with cover material and a good lid for weekly trips to the pile.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 5:54 pm

I add to the pile on a daily basis with kitchen scraps and my personal contribution... Only one in the family yet. Nobody knows! The wife became very interested in a loveable loo set up... Our flush toilets consistently show some form of disorder! But as I said, my rather feral early morning squats have not been revealed to any but yourselves! The pile has becom a bit too large and it is time to make a humanure hacienda!

Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 1:26 pm

Lol, sorry for the drama.

Saturday, September 14, 2013 - 12:48 pm

Lol, sorry for the drama! Not that I want the cold weather but adding to the compost pile at night is less enjoyable than day composting. Yellowjackets still loving the white pine needles.
I like to get the cat poop out of the litter to extend its life. Also I don't like too much stink from the kitchen wastes so adding to the pile daily is what I try to do. (plastic 1 gal folgers coffee with a lid that seals inthe kitchen. Then a 5 gal with lid on the deck for larger qty and catanure.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 9:41 pm

Bronko, I read you!

Thursday, September 12, 2013 - 8:50 pm

Thanks Eco, this is a good reminder about forest and other biomass pile cover. My properties a 1/4 acre. It borders a 5 acre river, pond, forest that leads to a river 2 miles long and forested to the bay. There are lots of grasses, reeds and seaweed. I need to keep the plastic mason trow in the canoe with rake and machete when I go out fishing.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, September 11, 2013 - 4:18 am

Bronko, I am following your posts here with interest. Wishing you a happy time in lieu of getting flushed! Joke....
Just a couple of thoughts which might be useful for you. Do you have any pine trees around there? The sort that drop pine needles and flower buds in profusion? I wonder if you could scoop a large quantity up and keep it dry for use as a cover material throughout the winter, when snow/ice etc. might freeze everything else.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 - 11:19 pm

I guess this will be my personal blog. The "midnite enterprises" continue with me adding to the compost pile each night. I use a 3 million candlepower QBeam light. Waiting for the po-po to show up.

Some trials I'm running to prepare for cold winter composting here in CT:
- lining buckets with newspaper for a quick "catch and release" with less water use.
- using a pump pressure garden spayer to clean buckets
- going from 2 to 4 buckets in the winter in case the weather/snow keeps me from the pile. (I'm the only one in the house using the loo. No buy in by the wife, except when we had a septic issue

Friday, September 06, 2013 - 7:47 pm

Still no skunks for 2 weeks, but at dusk on a cool 60 f night there are yellow jackets 10" from my face as I piss on the pile. I'll add my daily offerings of a jug of piss, cat poop and food scraps in a few hours. I did work in the day around them, but lately they are more ornery and organized against me. Those f'ggers have punished me over the years, sometimes en mass.

Still glad I got a quick, low cost start to humanure. I was tired of waiting for the right time to start. If you can learn anything from me it's location, location and wire mesh to critter proof it. In the words of the Red Sox- wait till next year, I'll get it right then!

Monday, September 02, 2013 - 1:09 pm

Hello, now 5 months in. Thanks Joe and everyone on this forum. My motivation to start was frugality. I started trying to compost cat litter and that's how I found this site. Being on a river flood plain I want to gradually raise my land using swales/ hugelculture. This year I added in humanure.

- having low cash flow I built with 2 old pallets and downed pine limbs from the blizzard. It had a rustic beauty to it.
-thatched the lawn and raked leaves for cover. With grass clippings this lasted to mid july when I had to buy straw bales. (I cleaned the gutters and cut vines in the canopy trying to avoid spending $)
- using peat moss as inside cover, hope to source sawdust. I do pee in jug and add it daily to pile so I use less peat moss.
- I add my papertowels and white paper mail to a 5 gal bucket of water and fork this on as outside pile cover, then cover with grass/straw
- using a cheap 6" meat thermometer and seeing 100 to 120 f. Need to get a real therm.
-Mid-July started a battle with skunks burrowing in, under, thru the pile. $45 of wire and I think I won. They were cooling the pile by getting the daily food scraps
- Now yellow jackets are driving me back. The pile is on the woodsline. They seem to like the overhanging white pine needles. I don't see a nest. (I was all around the pile wiring)
I now add to the pile at night. I hope to outlast them to cooler weather.
Lessons learned: critter proof your pile. Stay away from brush/tree line
Any advice or comments are welcome,
Bill

(Message edited by bronko on September 02, 2013)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.