Felinure- 3 year compost?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Felinure- 3 year compost?
Author: Bronko (Bronko)
Tuesday, October 01, 2013 - 9:11 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Hello Joe,
I haven't found a source of sawdiust yet. I use peat moss as the toilet cover (it would be too dusty for the cats)

I could revisit trying to convert the cats to wood pellets (maybe spraying them lightly with water to make them more like sawdust would help with acceptance).

Author: Joe (Joe)
Monday, September 30, 2013 - 11:39 am

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Have you tried using sawdust or whatever cover material you use in your toilet as the cat litter?

Friday, September 27, 2013 - 11:02 pm

To clarify my thoughts in the second year add only cat litter clay. Pitchfork and turn it in.

Let the compost age the 3rd year undisturbed.
I have been reading about Luebke composting which adds 10% clay to the compost pile to make clay humus complexes.

This wouldn't be Luebke's method which is a labor intensive 8 week method. But would be ~ 10% clay.

Thursday, September 26, 2013 - 12:26 am

Currently my 2 cats "felinure" (about a cups worth daily)
goes into my compost pile along with humanure, kitchen and garden contributions. I plannedu on waiting the standard 2 years before using the compost on the garden.

Now I'm kicking around a 3 year rotation. I have been using a broadcast spreader to very gradually build a terrace using the clay cat litter. I use special kitty brand (oil dry corp) at $3.56 for a 25 lb bag or Stop and Shop brand clay litter $3.00/ 25 lb bag. I tried to convert my cats to 50% biodegradable wood pellets (after 50% they staged a protest peeing outside the litter box- also the pellets, and then corncob smelled bad sooner

Now I'm thinking of adding the clay litter to the pile in an additional 3rd year pile of composting. This would allow the clay to pick up minerals and dark earthy color.

If the cats were outside cats they would make the same contribution without the benefit of thermophillic compsting.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.