Hawaii please help

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Hawaii please help
Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 11:24 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

[No profile available] Edit this post

Sounds like you aren't using enough cover material. Nothing should be able to swim in the damp-dry contents.

Author: Nosheoltarsus (Nosheoltarsus)
Monday, February 17, 2014 - 3:48 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

.Incidentally, I have a 5 gal. Bucket, almost filled. I had it sealed for like two weeks. I now lifted the lid, and all kinds of things around in there. I am traumatized, but..a. What are those swimming creatures? B. If they are fly larvae that developed in a container that was sealed, what would happen if I deposited the contents into a compost bin? I imagine the bin crawling with maggots and flies.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Thursday, February 13, 2014 - 5:51 am

Great information, thanks Demeter. I had not thought of that.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 12:26 pm

Hawaii has strict regulations on the importation of "alien" worms. Be sure to check them out first. Also there is a beneficial maggot that does reside in Hawaii. That is the larva of the black soldier fly. The adults have an acute sense of smell, and even when the pile is covered, they will get into the compost and lay eggs on the nastiest kinds of organic matter. They are the Cadillac of composters. The adults are about 3/4 " long, and look more like wasps than flies.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, February 12, 2014 - 6:17 am

Nosheoltarsus, the "worms" which you suspect come from flies are in fact maggots! They will infest open compost heaps where food waste, etc., is placed on top of the heap without good cover material. This will make it a very smelly heap.
With The Humanure method all additions of compostable material are placed IN the heap and well covered with hay, straw or leaves. This cover material prevents, to a large extent, the invasion of flies and maggots.
Earth worms are not essential to the Humanure method. They are useful, for sure, and will help to speed decomposition of the excreta. If the heap is in contact with soil underneath, worms will migrate up into the heap if and when they are ready to do so.
If worms are not present, the heap will simply take a bit longer to compost.
I would not mind betting that someone in Hawaii already has a supply of the composting-type worms, like "Tigers," and if you put an add in your local newspaper someone might help you out with a handful of worms.
Failing that, if you still wish to obtain some, there is a company in Queensland, Australia, who might be able to ship some to you. Ask a friend who has a computer access to assist you...http://www.ecovalleyworms.com.au/worm-farm-products/ I am sure there are also suppliers within the United States, also.
Good luck, wishing you great success.

Friday, February 07, 2014 - 3:05 am

Thank you Demeter, very kind of you, and intelligent. I do not have access to regular internet, and my tiny phone gets weak signal. God bless you. Demeter, I am tempted to believe you are not from U.S., but...if you are...most refreshing.

Thursday, February 06, 2014 - 11:45 pm

Nosheltarsus, I did some googling and learned that the earthworms we have on the mainland are not found in Hawaii. There are some earthworms, but they are not good composting worms. There are kokua worms and "rainbow" worms, which apparently are available commercially in your state. Also, there is a nice article on the subject here: http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/oc/freepubs/pdf/HG-46.pdf
I hope that helps to get you started.

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 3:17 pm

My property is on rock. How can I develop earthworms? This idea about the worms crawling into bin. Wont worms develop from flies anyway? Any way to add them. My idea is have dirt delivered, then place trash can with big holes under neath.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 12:09 pm

Earth worms are not going to crawl into a 96 gallon bin unless it's lying on its side in the dirt, and even then you'd be lucky.

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 2:01 pm

In regards to my using plastic trash cans, and the need for worms, can I just open the lid daily? I do not have a soil ground on property. However, I do have access to organic materials, to place in plastic trash cans (96 lbs).

Monday, January 27, 2014 - 12:55 pm

Thank you for your compassion, in answering. In regards to the needing worms issue, will not the worms be created naturally, if I use the plastic trash can (96 gal.), if I simply open lid daily? I do not have soil on my property. But, I have access to orhanic materials.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Tuesday, January 21, 2014 - 11:53 am

Throw tarps over the bins that are open if you have enormous rains.

Author: Bronko (Bronko)
Saturday, January 18, 2014 - 2:29 am

Take a look at Joe Jenkins compost hacienda which has a roof over the compost piles. I get 40 inches of a rain a year and have open piles and need to add water more often than cover my piles. How much rain do you get in Hawaii?

Thursday, January 16, 2014 - 8:48 pm

Please, help. I do not have regulal internet access?

Where I am it rains alot. I do not know if the traditional wooden bin will work,given the rain. Please do not delete my post, as I need this info.

Can I use the large, industrial, plastic garbage cans, with folding lids, for composting humanure? If so, any feedback,on getting moisturebin, aerating, etc?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.