Composting Beer Byproducts

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Composting Beer Byproducts
Author: Joe (Joe)
Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 3:42 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I dump pure liquid into my compost all the time. Things cannot be too wet. If you are adding a lot of wet stuff, add more dry stuff too to balance it.

Author: Michelec (Michelec)
Friday, February 21, 2014 - 11:48 pm

Thank you for all the good info and ideas. Awesome that the compost pile loves this stuff, can a compost pile get too wet???
I don't think I'll be able to use the spent grains (mash) for the toilet, I'm thinking they'll be too wet. We'll be making 100 gallon batches so to dry them would be quite the scene! I will definitely try the enzymatic cleaner on a experimental basis to start. Seems like this would be better than regular cleaners for the compost pile.

Thanks again,
Michele

Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 11:47 am

I make wine and beer and dump the dregs and bad batches into the compost pile. Compost loves this kind of stuff. I use potassium metabisulfite as a disinfectant. I put a couple table spoons into a rinsed 5 gallon container, dump about a gallon of clean water in it, rinse it around, then leave the water in there during storage. I dump and rinse before using to brew again. This water does not go into the compost pile. I just dump it out in the grass.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, February 19, 2014 - 1:14 am

I cannot give you definitive answers, Michelle, but I doubt if you would have any problems with the mash. I doubt there would be sufficient alcohol in it to deter worms, etc. Try composting it with other materials. When the mash is dry, what is it like? Could it be used as cover material for your humanure toilet? Would the quantities be big
enough to worry about?
I would be experimenting with the enzyme cleaners, adding small amounts to a good working compost heap and checking to see if there are any noticeable changes to the compost or worm activity.
A "good working compost heap" is a very resilient ecosystem generally.

Author: Michelec (Michelec)
Friday, February 14, 2014 - 5:31 pm

Hi all,
I'm new here, just finished the book. Humanure really is an amazing concept, after all why not get a second use out of all that beautiful (and sometimes expensive) organic food/drink. I used to joke that my dog made expensive fertilizer, never thinking for a second that the whole family could as well. I was close but still miles and miles away in my eco-thinking.

My husband and I recently acquired some rural land and we are excited about incorporating these ideas and getting rid of the current septic system.

One area of concern however is that we brew beer. A lot of beer.
-Would it be possible to compost the byproducts? I'm thinking we may need to go with a separate "compost tea" bin due to the amount of liquids. We're in Texas, so we have heat and little freezing.
This would be a mixture of grains, yeast, hops, maybe alcohol at times (bad batches).

And then there's the sanitizing of the kettles and kegs:
-Is there a type of sanitizer that is better than others (ie: friendlier to the compost)?
-Is it safe to use enzymatic cleaners? I would think so, however I would like to know folks have experienced.

Thank you for any feedback,
Michele

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.