Problem With Acidity

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Problem With Acidity
Author: Rman (Rman)
Monday, July 21, 2014 - 8:25 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I would suggest an acidity test on the materials being used in the production of the compost. Maybe a change in material might be the easiest fix.

Author: Demeter (Demeter)
Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 10:48 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

While one should not add ash to an active pile, ashes will alkalize the contents. Some experimentation will show her how much ash she needs to add per X gallons of aged compost. I agree, she needs more diversity in her pile.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 6:27 pm

I'm sure others will be able to answer you more fully, but my first thought is that the pile is anaerobic. Might be wrong.

Author: Hrrutz (Hrrutz)
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 10:01 am

My neighbor tried to use her 1 year old humanure in her herb and flower garden. Afterward, she tested it and found that the compost was incredibly acidic. In the range of 4.5, I think she said.
She uses manure and urine in her pile, with mixed hardwood sawdust from a local sawmill, and occasionally a sprinkling of chopped dried oak leaves on top.

My advice would have been to layer more straw and such in when building the pile for aeration, to throw in her kitchen scraps in the same compost bin, to wait 2 years for it to cook, and things like that. But I've never had the problem she's having, so it seemed prudent to seek more specialized advice.
I haven't been over there to check the temperature or consistency of her pile firsthand, but I can ask her about them if it would help.
We would like advice on what may have caused her situation, and what she can do to both prevent it in the future, as well as to fix this batch she is using now.

Thank you for your assistance!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.