Frozen compost

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Frozen compost
Author: Rman (Rman)
Monday, July 21, 2014 - 8:18 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I think I will end the use of my active bin at an earlier date than needed for space to have aged compost at a more garden friendly time. I just have to decide what that date should be.

Author: Joe (Joe)
Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 11:02 am

We had the same issue here in north western PA. Tried to dig out compost in May, but it was a large ball of ice in the middle. Just left it sit for another month until it completely thawed out. This was a pile that was in its aging stage and had frozen solid last winter. My active pile did not freeze.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:06 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

Bobby, how many people are adding to the compost and how big is the frame. I am interested because I am just starting and with enough room there is no reason not to do smaller batches so compost is reaching its usable state at different times of the year. I am late for a spring maturation date but I may decide to divide my year in two.

Author: Billy_thr_krik (Billy_thr_krik)
Friday, May 30, 2014 - 5:36 am

Bobby, that is good news! Very interesting about the ball of ice in the middle of the pile.

Author: Bobbyj (Bobbyj)
Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 8:14 pm

The compost finally thawed out a week ago and we started sifting it through 1/2" screen. We did a test with some pumpkin seeds in a small planter with compost. Both pumpkin seeds germinated and started growing like crazy within a week. Looks like the compost is mature!

Author: Bobbyj (Bobbyj)
Saturday, May 10, 2014 - 8:48 pm

Started my first compost bin in Feb 2012 and it was filled by Nov 2012 and has been aging since then. I started digging into it recently and the center of the compost is a big ball of ice. My log shows that it has reached 100*F or more during Spring through Nov 2012. Temps have dipped every now and then. This past winter was brutal, but I find it amazing that it is still frozen on May 10th. Anybody else have experienced this?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.