Plastic home depot compost bin

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Plastic home depot compost bin
Author: E0richt (E0richt)
Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 6:42 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

oh, and just checked the temp now 6:41 pm after I had put a deposit in earlier today... got a 125 degree reading.

Saturday, August 30, 2014 - 6:41 pm

Rman - not sure
- could they be absorbing heat from the sun? there might be but not the definitive factor here as I probe the pile at different depths and get different readings of temp...
- moisture, could the fact that the bins are enclosed (i.e. with a lid) make a difference? well, this I believe is a factor here because my outside pile tends to be a bit wet where in the bin moisture can come in but is also limited...

the bin: keter 98 gallon bin. they are kinda cheap, and the size did seem a bit small (actually was worried that I would have to start the next compost bin as it seemed to get full quickly, but that doesn't seem to be the case. When I am ready to add another deposit the pile has shrunk down enough for me to put stuff in.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 10:35 pm

Interesting. Do you think it is the insulation value of the walls or something else. Do you have a link to the product, I couldn't find a 96 gal on Home Depot and I would be interested in the shape/materials etc.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 7:09 pm

I was having problems with my handmade compost bin because it just didn't get to the high temperatures. so I found these 40 dollar compost bins (96 gal) and decided to buy 4 of them 2 for one side and 2 for the other. what a difference! I just checked on my pile yesterday and the temperature of the pile was 120* (you could actually feel the heat radiating off of it because the current temps are in the high 70's). I am the only one using the toilet as my wife and son both use the "normal" flush toilet. could that make a difference?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.