Non-Toxic Stain/Protectant on Pallets...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Non-Toxic Stain/Protectant on Pallets for Compost Bin?
Author: Wawazat (Wawazat)
Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 9:19 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

This sounds like sage advice guys. But if I wanted to be extra careful, perhaps linseed oil might be the ticket. Well, at least this was recommended by someone else. I don't know a whole lot about the boiled linseed oil avail at home stores for this purpose... that is, I'm wondering if there is anything mixed in the this oil from flaxseed when manufactured in the form that is meant as a wood protectant.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 7:25 pm

I totally agree with Eco, can't see there being a problem with normal products. If you did want to be cautious read the labels on what is available in your area or only coat the outside surface of the bin.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, September 06, 2014 - 2:26 pm

Wawazat, you have not received any other reply yet, maybe it's not an easy question to answer.
Which timber treatment have you in mind? Does it have to be toxic? Painting anything onto the outside of the timber, away from the compost is not going to do any harm. Also, I doubt very much if anything from within the timber, even if it was on the inside, against the compost, is likely to leach into the compost.
Anyway, in the Humanure process, one normally makes sure there is only hay/straw/cover material on the periphery of the pile, acting only as insulation, so no composting takes place there. Timber is not in direct contact with compost.
I hope this helps in your decision-making.

Author: Wawazat (Wawazat)
Wednesday, September 03, 2014 - 3:15 pm

I'm excited about building my 1st compost bin! I have acquired some nice, newer looking pallets and will be setting the bin up in the back of my backyard. It will be seen from the rest of the yard and I would like to prevent the pallets from greying for aesthetic reasons. I am concerned with leaching toxins in to the compost so is there a non-toxic outdoor wood protectant I can use?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.