Rapid sanitizing of humanure?

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Rapid sanitizing of humanure?
Author: Rman (Rman)
Thursday, September 11, 2014 - 10:09 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Db, the small urban yard should be usable for a Humanure compost pile. No odour and doesn't take up much space. How many people would be using the system and how long do you plan to be away in the travel trailer at a time? If you had your own compost would stockpiling be a possibility while you are on the road? One person using a 5 gal/20 litre lovable loo with a reasonable cover material will only produce about one pail per week of compostables. Travel trailers normally have a fair bit of storage under benches and such and could probably be fairly easily retrofitted to carry a decent number of pails. Pail storage could also be added in a box on the back bumper. A lot depends on the duration of the trip and the number of people using the system.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 4:08 pm

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Dave, if I can just offer a few pointers. Others might have other ideas.

"...would like to cut down on water use..." Good
"... not dump waterborne sewage..." Good
"... safely tossed in a dumpster..." Not good! No way. Let me explain.

First, it would be illegal in most countries, although I have experienced one country where it does happen, regardless of any legality (Incidentally, in a place not far from Florida.)

Secondly, there is no way of rapidly sanitizing human excreta apart from burning it, as far as I know. Local and national sanitation laws are there for good reasons, built primarily upon long experience in municipal situations.

Really successful and practical "sanitizing" of excreta can be done with the Humanure method, over time, when applied correctly. But it does take time, you can't do it in a hurry.

I admire and commend your interest in trying to do the right thing. Would you be able to travel around with your travel trailer and meet people who are already using the Humanure method? That could be a support for your positive outlook.

Carry a Loveable Loo bucket in your travel trailer and empty into the compost heap of each friend you visit.

Author: Db46 (Db46)
Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 5:32 pm

[No profile available] Edit this post

I am not a composter, BUT in my travel trailer I would like to have a lovable loo type toilet with disposable bag in which the sawdust/manure/urine blend can be rapidly sanitized (neutralized?) and safely tossed in a dumpster, the same way I imagine many people toss used kitty litter (which I doubt is sanitized) into dumpsters.
I just bought a new copy of the Humanure Handbook, 3rd edition, but in it and all around the internet I have not found any suggestions for what I would like to have. The closest thing is the PeePoo project with their urea lined small disposable bags. http://www.peepoople.com
I don't garden and have a small yard in a crowded neighborhood, but would like to cut down on water use and not dump waterborne sewage.
Is there a workable solution for me?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.