Also having issues with fresh douglas...

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Also having issues with fresh douglas fir sawdust - resists rotting
Author: Rman (Rman)
Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 1:15 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Hi Dan, are you having low compost temp problems or are you seeing a problem in the finished aged compost?

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 12:03 am

Dan, a few related questions for you: Do you live where there is Douglas Fir growing? Do you have access to the forest floor where they grow? Would you be able to get hold of some of that mulch under the forest, including the pine needles and floral components? There will, I wager, be a fine biodiversity of organisms who's common task it is to help decay the mulch.

Could you mix your sawdust with that mulch, wet it, then let it age for, say, 6 months?

Also consider using the mulch directly as your cover material, instead of the sawdust.

Author: Dan_ (Dan_)
Friday, October 24, 2014 - 11:00 pm

I read some other topics on piles not heating up and some discussion of douglas fir sawdust. I just wanted to share that I'm also having issue with it not breaking down quickly.

I'm a woodworker and produce my own sawdust. Its dry so I first thoroughly wet it then store it in buckets.
I have found that it takes months for the sawdust to really break down well. The solution would be to age the sawdust prior to toilet use but unfortunately I don't produce enough dust to ever have surplus to age

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.