Kitchen scraps

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Kitchen scraps
Author: Rman (Rman)
Saturday, October 25, 2014 - 8:37 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

For years we have collected our kitchen scraps but have consistently had trouble with receptacles. Not big enough, poor lid, not sealed, awkward etc. We have now chosen a receptacle that links very well with the whole humanure lifestyle. It is a five gallon pail, same as the loo pails, but with a gamma screw on lid. Large enough to hold more compost than we produce and I am now adding rinse water from the coffee press and from frying pans or pots that contain the dregs of cooked food. My kitchen compost is now very wet, generally sloshing, when I dump it which adds needed moisture to the humanure pile. The gamma lid is very easy to put on or take off and seals in odour and moisture very well. We would highly recommend these lids for this job. The only drawback is the inner lip of the pail half will catch material when you are dumping it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.