Composting pine chips

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Composting pine chips
Author: Rman (Rman)
Saturday, April 11, 2015 - 8:31 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Jeffm why not try experimenting on your own? Raw chips in one area, mixed with compost in another. Might work and your friend might be wrong for any number of reasons including different soil, chips, deficiencies etc. Not a big deal if one or all of them aren't optimal.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Friday, April 10, 2015 - 9:50 pm

I like experimentation. Your friend might be right or he might not be. Why not try three different types, raw chips, mixed with aged humanure and either a different percentage mix or a different nitrogen source. Lots of innovations happen because the innovator didn't know it couldn't be done.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Monday, April 06, 2015 - 12:01 am

For anyone interested who is in Australia, in particular Tasmania, this link gives info. concerning Pomaderris apetala, found only in Tasmania. I trim the bushes into hedgerows and groundcover, helping as a fire retardant.
Pomaderris apetala

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pomaderris_apetala

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:52 pm

Jeff, as a matter of principle, I rely upon the population of fungi and bacteria, etc., that naturally occurs in forest mulch. It's my understanding that every type of forest, where the various species have been growing and evolving over a very long time, builds its own ecosystem of micro organisms. The fungal species, as well as helping in the initial breakdown of lignin, also are able to partially supply their own nitrogen by fixing it from the air.
If it has been standing undisturbed and kept moist enough over a long period, it will be a good habitat for worms and other soil biota.
If you now mix this with old humanure it will make a very useful, slow-release mulch and fertilizer, I suggest.
I employ a similar regime here in Tasmania, but using Eucalyptus and Pomaderris mulch that has been left to stand for 6-9 months. This is helping to build a very nice top-soil. Hoping you find equally good results. Please keep us posted.

Author: Jeffm (Jeffm)
Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 9:29 pm

I have a large pile of green pine branches that I will be chipping up this spring. I want to use the chips as a weed suppressing mulch. I have been advised that I should compost the chips first with a nitrogen source before applying them to the garden as the resin can cause problems in the soil.
I have a large cured pile of finished composted humanure. Obviously there is a fair amount of nitrogen in there. Would cured composted be an appropriate source of nitrogen to kick off the composting process or should I look for a 'fresher' source of nitrogen. I do of course have fresh pile of humanure that I am adding to at the moment but I'd rather leave that be.

If the person who told me to compost first was nt a professional groundskeeper at a prestigous institution and a good friend I probably would have just applied the fresh chips as mulch.

Again the goal is a woody mulch not a nice finished crumbly compost.

Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.