Warmer weather

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Warmer weather
Author: Rman (Rman)
Monday, May 11, 2015 - 1:09 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Wow, my compost went to the 130s and then I dumped in about 8 litres of moldy maple syrup. My temps shot to 169 and stayed there for days on end. They dropped temporarily when I made an addition and seem to have leveled off at 168 F. I thought I was going to see 170 but now I am just being greedy.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:28 am

In modern terminology, That's Kool!

Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 8:39 am

Sorry Alan, I zoned out to part of your question. I used a shovel to remove the deep snow from the pile before trying to scrape what cover I could to the side. I had left the compost thermometer out the last time after thawing it out with warm water so I didn't have it to worry about. My compost was at 126 F yesterday so I am quite happy.

Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:18 pm

I am not sure how it is supposed to work but I do know I skimped on hay cover, kept forgetting to get some, and my compost froze. I managed to avoid adding any for about 2 months by ramping up to 16 pails in use. It stayed frozen until recently and has now started to heat. I will try to be better prepared next year.

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:58 am

This is interesting, Rman. When your pile is covered with a deep layer of snow, do you simply move the snow aside then dig into the heap when you are adding a bucketful in the winter? I presume the inside temperature prevents the compost surface from going hard. Is this right?

Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 8:06 am

The snow is almost all gone, although it has snowed small amounts in the last few days, the temps are above freezing in the day and will soon be in the night as well and my compost has just gone active again with my last addition.

Two weeks ago I didn't really get any temperature increase to speak of but for the last one I am up to 118 F. Compost season is back after a cold long winter.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.