Flies in bucket toilet! HELP!

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Flies in bucket toilet! HELP!
Author: Kahakura (Kahakura)
Friday, February 05, 2016 - 6:44 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

I solved this problem for our toilet. You can get rid of all your flies in 2 minutes. Here's how I did it:

1. I removed the full bin, replaced it with an empty bin. I put a tight lid on the full bin. By this time our fly problem was immediately solved as all flies and grubs are contained (trapped). All the grubs turned into flies and died within 2 or 3 weeks inside the bin. So the cycle stopped there.

2. I put a pipe vent to take air from under the toilet seat to expel it out the roof. The breeze creates a draft that sucks out the bad air. The large PVC pipe air vent takes bad air from inside the bin to outside the top. The pipe has a fly screen on it.

3. Have several bins in rotation. We had three lin a line outside. Swap the humanure bin every 3 days during fly season. Put a lid on each full bin until all grubs have turned into flies and all flies have died. Then put the humanure into your Car-Tire compost bin.

Photo here http://www.providentliving.org.nz/car-tyre-compost-bin/

Flies can get in the door but not into the toilet. The lid is closed when not in use. Flies cannot get down the pipe and that is where the bad air leaves. We can leave the door open and have no flies.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Sunday, September 20, 2015 - 8:18 pm

Hello THG. I have fruit flies but I think they are originating in the kitchen and hanging out in the bathroom. Do you have tiny food compost or leave your tiny dishes out on the counter? I am almost sure that my problem is a combination of season and us being slack in keeping all potential fruit fly breeding grounds sterile. Since you have been so diligent and thorough in the bathroom I would bet on somewhere else in the house. Possibly a contaminated spot that you have missed?

Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Friday, September 18, 2015 - 7:50 am

Tinyhousegirl, sorry to hear you are getting this problem. I know the frustration that can cause. In fact those tiny flies are not going to cause any disease problems, because they don't normally go after your food, but they're annoying all the same.
I am at a loss to know what to suggest. You have already told us you have started using fine wood sawdust, instead of the wood shavings. I was going to point this out, but you have beaten me to it.
Do these flies occur at particular isolated times of the year? Or most of the time over many months?
Do you put kitchen scraps or vegetable peelings into the buck and leave them exposed? It's better to add such scraps directly to the outside compost heap before emptying your humanure bucket over the scraps.
If anyone else has ideas, I would be interested to hear them.

Author: Tinyhousegirl (Tinyhousegirl)
Friday, September 11, 2015 - 11:39 am

[No profile available] Edit this post

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if I'm not doing anything wrong at all and this is normal for the warmer weather, but my bucket toilet always has little fruit flies and they drive me nuts!

I started using the bucket toilet only a month ago so I am still a rookie, but I've done lots of research, read the whole Humanuer Handbook, and my compost pile outside has been doing very well. (At least I think it is, it reaches temps of 130F)
Inside my tiny house bucket toilet however, there are tiny flies. >=(

Here is what I've been doing:
> I built a nice 5-gal bucket toilet with a seat that meets the top rim of the bucket, and the lid has weatherstripping that seals onto the seat. There is little space for air to pass through but the seat won't lay perfectly flush on the bucket rim to eliminate all crevices. I thought this wasn't a big deal and thought it would be overkill to weatherstrip the bottom of the seat or the rim of the bucket, but maybe I'm wrong. Because the flies love the toilet.

I began to use it and for the past month in the following way:
>I line the bucket with a paper grocery bag nice and tightly, and put a layer of pine wood shavings (from the planer in the woodshop) in the bottom of the bucket.
>Two of us use the toilet. We go poo and pee and cover everything with the pine wood shavings.
>There is no smell, the bucket fills about twice a week, and we empty it twice a week. We're on top of our shit (pun intended) and we empty it on time. We usually empty it every 3-4 days.

BUT THERE ARE FLIES. little fruit flies.
I tried the following remedies:
> I switched to using very fine sawdust from a local sawmill instead of the small pine shavings from my planer, but there are still flies.
> I put a vinegar trap in the bathroom and caught many, but there are still flies in the toilet.
> I added one of those sticky fly trap ribbons to the bathroom, it's caught many flies, but there are still flies in the toilet.
> I added diatomaceous earth to the cover sawdust to kill them, but they refuse to die! (and is that bad for the compost? I worry.)
> I have also gone through a serious fly cleanse at least 4 times in which I've emptied the toilet and left it outside for the day. I opened the toilet lid and seat, opened the window in the bathroom, take out the screen, shut the bathroom door, and smoke out the bathroom with a fat wand of white sage incense. The bathroom fills with smoke and pours out the window, it almost looks like the house is on fire. The flies hate it and all flee from the bathroom and out the giant escape window! But eventually, they return. ALWAYS.

I AM ALMOST OUT OF IDEAS! HELP!
My last ideas are to 100% seal the toilet, which will probably be a difficult and meticulous task but I am willing to do it if it fixes the problem. OR not use paper bag liners because maybe they attract flies somehow? Which would be unfortunate because the bags work great, they make cleanup easy and they compost easily.

Am I making any dumb rookie mistakes or is this just normal for the warmer weather? I've been told it's normal but there's just so many! And it makes using the toilet so uncomfortable because there are flies flying around my butt! =[

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.