Car-Tire Compost bin for humanure

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Car-Tire Compost bin for humanure
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Saturday, February 06, 2016 - 6:52 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

If this "car tyre" system works for you, fine. There is no absolute, one-way-only method of composting, but it helps to ensure success by following a few basic guidelines.
I would not call the "car tyre" system a "Humanure" system. There is no way the humanure can become hot enough for it to be called thermophilic. It is more accurately a "Worm Composting" toilet.
If you add sufficient carbonaceous material after each use, that is a benefit in producing quality compost. Generally speaking, if you are using a toilet that does not smell or cause any unpleasant polution, on a sustainable basis, then it's working well.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Friday, February 05, 2016 - 10:41 pm

Interesting. How long have you had one in use? Also how cold is your area and have you checked the compost temperature at intervals?

Author: Kahakura (Kahakura)
Friday, February 05, 2016 - 6:16 pm

I have had some success using car-tire compost bins. They were free to make. Easier to empty. No leaching from rubber. Fit a small space close to the toilet. I constructed one of these in minutes. (English spelling is Car "Tyre"). Photo here http://www.providentliving.org.nz/car-tyre-compost-bin/
What do you think of these?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.