Start volume

The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board: General Composting Issues: Start volume
Author: Ecointerest (Ecointerest)
Monday, July 11, 2016 - 9:46 am
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

Impressive.
I am composting kitchen waste from a small cafe/restaurant, using two piles, each 1800mm (6ft) square and maximum 900mm (3ft) deep when full. Using the Humanure method, but without adding any humanure, just the food waste. Chicken bones, other meat bones, dairy, etc. are included. Each bin takes about 6 months to fill and is then closed off, by which time the other resting bin has matured into fantastic dark compost.
Temperature is normally 65 Celsius very quickly after each addition and occasionally 70. Because hay and straw is a bit scarce this season, and therefore expensive, I have started layering mulch (chipped tree toppings from the local Council and other contractors) instead of the hay...this mostly in the summer months, but even in the winter the pile temperature is keeping up and it continues to make good compost. (Our winters are no where near as extreme as happens in Philadelphia.)
Will post a photo when available. The system is just so good and simple.

Author: Rman (Rman)
Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 11:04 pm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

View profile or send e-mail Edit this post

For my most recent compost pile start up I had a few more pails of compostables available than usual. There were 10 pails plus one third pail of kitchen compost. I was happy to see that the temperature of this fairly large start up climbed to 125 F within 7 days definitely the fastest climb to the active zone that I have had.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out     Administration
Topics Profile Last Day Last Week Search Tree View Member List Log Out   Administration
Welcome to The International Compost Sanitation Forum and Message Board
For assistance, read the instructions or contact us.